Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 1987 5.0 Mustang Convertible. I expect to go see the car this weekend. I will complete a full tune up to get the car running better and see where that leaves me. Then address the convertible top seals, interior (medium term), A/C (long term) and body/paint (long term). I plan to complete most of the repairs/replacements myself and expect this to be a learning experience and would like the level of effort to be at a beginner to moderate level.

I am looking for pointers on what to look for that could let me know what I’m getting into. I want to stay away from an engine and or transmission rebuild.

Below is basic information I have collected. I will follow up with another email inquiring about the vehicle mileage, if the heater works, if the power windows and top work and if there is any issue with the heads (cracks/warped).

I appreciate any help provided. Thank you.

Below is the cleaned up version of the ad.
7/8/11 SYNOPSIS
1987 Mustang 5.0 Convertible, Automatic Transmission
Red with black top
Runs but need work
A/C is disconnected
Interior is fair
Tires in good condition
Replaced by current owner
- Battery
- Water pump
- Thermostat & housing
- Distributor cap & rotor
Needs per current owner
- Valve cover gaskets

My first round of questions to the owner and his response are below.
7/9/11 INQUIRY BY ME
Hi, I am responding to 1987 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0.Please tell me if this is still available. Is it drivable?What condition is the top? Any issues with leaks?Are the items you listed new or do they need replacement?
7/9/11 RESPONSE BY CURRENT OWNER
This car is somewhat drivable it does need some tuning done to it, it is a project car but would take much at all. Everything that I listed is what I have done to it but I have not put new valve cover gaskets on yet which it does need. It is still available, the top is in pretty descent condition and the car would need new window seals to make it water tight. There are no leaks otherwise. Call me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well at least you know what your going into as this will be a project car and needs work immediately. Being a convertible, you will need to go over the car carefully and read this sticky....

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-talk/185981-what-look-when-buying-used-fox-mustang.html

Valve cover gaskets are a simple and cheap fix but the car not running right could be a simple fix to something that needs alot of work. A visual inspection is needed and without pics it is very hard for us to gauge. Good luck :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
457 Posts
One thing in the ad that raised concern with me is the fact that the a/c has been "disconnected". If your wanting to use the a/c, you need to find out exactly what's wrong with it. Seller's will often list them as "needing recharged", "plugged up", ect..., but they are often needing a total replacement. After all, if it's something simple, why wouldn't the seller have fixed it before selling? Just a thought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
also the condition of the body is very impotamnt when buying an old fox body. rocker panels will most likey need replaced. check the the door columns and subframes for rust. any thing more than a little surface rust espeacially holes, would make the restoration a major pain in the ass

·
Registered
394 Posts
You can also get a Vehicle History Report (Carfax)

Lemons
Stolen
Emissions problem
Multiple owners
Major accidents
Recall information
Airbag deployment
Length of ownership
Warranty information
Last reported mileage
Flood, frame, or hail damage
Estimated miles driven per year
Lease, personal, taxi or police use
Salvaged, junked, rebuilt or total loss
Mileage rollbacks, rollovers, inaccuracies
Service, inspection, and registration history

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7/12/11 RESPONSE TO QUESTION BY CURRENT OWNER IN ITALICS
1) How long have you had the car? about 3mths bought it at an auction and title is now in my name and is a clean blue title
2) How many miles on the car? Odometer reads like 785000 but somethings is wrong I assume
3) Do all the gauges, wipers and window/top motors work? wipers work, windows work the two back ones need adjusting to seal properly, top motor is out just makes noise, gauges work to my knowledge I haven't put to much time in the car I left to go work in Kansas two days after I bought it
4) Any areas that have rust? No rust
What is the condition of the brakes? brakes work but need to be bled and new pads
5) Does the emergency brake work? Emergency brake is not working probably just and adjustment
6) Has there been attempt to reconnect the A/C? I have not tried to reconnect it yet who ever had it put a shorter belt to bypass the fan as well
7) Are there any known performance modifications to the car? No performance mods that I've seen or know about
8) Is the car currently registered and can it pass state inspection? Was last registered in 2010 I think but the horn isn't working so would need a couple minor details to pass but shouldn't be to much work to get it there
(9) Can you provide the VIN number? As soon as I get home tonight I will get the vin number for you.

·
Registered
457 Posts
7/12/11 RESPONSE TO QUESTION BY CURRENT OWNER IN ITALICS
1) How long have you had the car? about 3mths bought it at an auction and title is now in my name and is a clean blue title
2) How many miles on the car? Odometer reads like 785000 but somethings is wrong I assume
3) Do all the gauges, wipers and window/top motors work? wipers work, windows work the two back ones need adjusting to seal properly, top motor is out just makes noise, gauges work to my knowledge I haven't put to much time in the car I left to go work in Kansas two days after I bought it
4) Any areas that have rust? No rust
What is the condition of the brakes? brakes work but need to be bled and new pads
5) Does the emergency brake work? Emergency brake is not working probably just and adjustment
6) Has there been attempt to reconnect the A/C? I have not tried to reconnect it yet who ever had it put a shorter belt to bypass the fan as well
7) Are there any known performance modifications to the car? No performance mods that I've seen or know about
8) Is the car currently registered and can it pass state inspection? Was last registered in 2010 I think but the horn isn't working so would need a couple minor details to pass but shouldn't be to much work to get it there
(9) Can you provide the VIN number? As soon as I get home tonight I will get the vin number for you.[/quote

Sounds like a pretty simple list of work it needs.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well it's his first answer you should look at which is that he bought it at an auction. Next he states that he left to Kansas 2 days after he bought the car so pretty much he doesn't know anything of the life of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts