Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1965 MUSTANG 289

Just replaced all my lifters.

Any helpful pointers so I DO NOT get any leaks when I put the intake manifold back on?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
RTV, not enough to squish into the ports, just outline every passage with a small bead, let it tack, stick on the gasket, and put another small bead on the gaskets.

for the end gaskets, i dont even use them, just one large bead of RTV all the way across

also, get some short studs that fit in the bolt holes to help with the alignment.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
what pockets said. I use the copper coat gasket sealer, but that's personal preference.

For sure toss the end gaskets and lay a big fat bead of RTV across both the front and back. It is common protocol to not use the supplied end gaskets; even professional engine builders go with the RTV bead instead.

Also put a bead in the corners on each end where the heads meet the top of the intake.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Same advice as others but use Permatex Right Stuff sealant. it is epdm rubber and is really great stuff. Also I would not use the "s" gaskets but the sealer as a 3/8" bead.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello ski.dive,
The choice pf end seals is yours.

I offer one oher tip - -it works great.

Take two or for - - 3 inch boly with the same size thread as the
intake bolts..
Cut the head of the bolt off - then cut a notch in the top of the bolt
to make it look like a "screw".

Put either 2 or 4 of these "special" bolts in the 4 corners.
(Screw them into the heads just finger tight.

Then after putting on the gaskets/sealer etc - -
PLace the intake over the bolts. (They seerver as a guide.

Put the intka ein place - -start the other intake bolts then remove
the "special" bolts and insert the correct bolts.

This assures the intake is properly aligned and will NOT slip
or leak.

Make sure you use enough sealant in the corners.

Should work EVERY time

Print DAd

·
Registered
913 Posts
Get 4 6" long bolts, cut the heads off, cut a screwdriver slot in the stump end, and screw them into the heads as guides. They will force the manifold to come straight down when you install it, minimizing the possibility of gasket shifting. After all the other bolts are in place, replace them with the correct bolts. IIRC, Ford started using 4 short studs for this purpose beginning in 69.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
while I use the bolt stud idea like print dad and others suggested you really don't need to do anything special to them. just cut the heads off. screw them in finger tight. if on the off chance they are too tight to unscrew after the other bolts are started just use a vice grip. no need to get fancy, not that putting the screwdriver notch in is a bad idea just not really necessary.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
What mccance said. I screw them in finger tight and then unscrew them with my fingers. And what your fingers can't get a vice grips will.

The bolt size you need is 5/16"-18. I suppose you could use 6" bolts if you want to, but I use 4" which are still plenty long. Save the bolts because they're also nice to use for mounting doors. I'd say 70-80% of the bolts on the car are this size/thread.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The studs that go into the top of the intake for the carb are the same thread as the intake bolts. Screw them down, drop the gasket on after applying your choice of rtv and they won't move when you are positioning the intake on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts