Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in northern Virginia and i want to tint my mustangs windows. i was wondering if anyone from around here has had any problems with cops pulling them over for illegal tint? I'm guessing that driving around in a brand new bright white mustang doesn't help my cause. thanks for any input

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The Law in VA.

Law Enforcement Services Arrow graphic indicates this link includes ..... to the windows of any motor vehicle in Virginia sun-shading or tinting films that ...
www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm - Cached - Similar

A conviction for violating Virginia inspection laws could result in a fine and be .... has tinted windows, make sure the tinting complies with Virginia's ...
www.dmv.state.va.us › Moving - Cached - Similar

To be on the safe side and to avoid any action against you here is the bottom line.
I have folks I know get pulled over for this and questioned even ticketed for this. They where in compliance with all Ohio Laws and charges later droped. If you tint your windows I would print out the Laws in your state from the links above and keep a copy in your car.
99% of the time if a officer knows you know the Law it will be a non-issue because you are in compliance and no violation has accured. This probably will not stop you from being pulled over but it will stop your hard earned money from leaving your pocket and into the public coffers.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If your windows are illegally tinted how is it harassment? It's best just to stay within the limits of compliance and not prompt an issue. The LEO doesn't see limo tint as cool, it's a threat to his life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well idk if it applies to you but you gotta watch what you have in your car, illegal stuff wise. If your going to get window tint. I am in law enforcement and know that officers all across the country use window tint on cars for an excuse to pull you over not for the purpose of the window tint, but to check your car for anything illegal. 99% of the cops that pull someone over for illegal tint could care less about the tint it just gives them a reason to check for illegal things in plain sight or possible ask for consent to search your car. Only reason i am telling you this is because even though you might get "harassed" for window tint if you are known for someone that is in trouble with the law then yes you will be harassed. That was a long explanation but in the shortened version if you keep drugs in your car dont get window tint, only asking to get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Even in Combat

I second what CJ said , even in Combat you see a car with heavy tint in your area that car becomes a mark. It has been 1 to many times used by the criminal element to hide whats really behind door #1?? Guns Drugs & Thugs in my case a bomb.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't use drugs or carry weapons so that's not really a problem. I dont plan on completly blacking them out, I just want some protection from the sun when the car sits outside. When trucks and vans roll of the assembly line they have tint. Do theirs comply with all state laws or does the police just let it slide bc it's from the factory?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't use drugs or carry weapons so that's not really a problem. I dont plan on completly blacking them out, I just want some protection from the sun when the car sits outside. When trucks and vans roll of the assembly line they have tint. Do theirs comply with all state laws or does the police just let it slide bc it's from the factory?
Yeah you want to check different websites. I know that in Illinois Rear windshield and quarterpanels can have limo (the darkest) but passenger and drivers side doors have to have less then 30%.

You might get harassed in the beginning about the tint because they wont know who you are. I had the same problem even though i have legal tint but i did an 4 month interneship in my town so when they saw i owned that car they knew they didnt need to stop me cause i know all the cops and the cops know me

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Factory

Jump to Regulations for automotive use‎: Window tint on a convertible in America. Tint on the front window is lighter than on the back window because of window tint laws. ... the federal Department of Transportation (DOT), ... An exception is made for factory tint in vehicles purchased before April 1, 2006. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_film - Cached - Similar

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations.

The DOT for factory tint states 70% of the light must be able to travel through the window. Factory vehicles must comply with this basic standard of 30% tint. I would read the link above for VA because some States maybe lower and if they are I would bet the Factory Tint is lower than 30%. The factory auto's are getting a free pass they are in compliance because Corperations don't want to get drag into court for a faulty or un-safe product.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Thanks for the help guys. And I don't think I'll get to know the cops in my county bc there is over 3000 I believe. Too bad, must be nice for you

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know what all the posts are trying to say here, but this is the way it is in VA:

Max 50% in the front
Max 35% in the rear

You can get a medical exemption from an optometrist that will allow you to install 35% in the front. All you have to do is say you're sensitive to light.

I couldn't imagine the cops pulling someone over for it, but you will get noticed more. There are so many people in N.VA that you have to **** up pretty bad to get pulled over unless you're driving during low-traffic hours. I drove around for several years without a front license plate here and never got ticketed for it. I guess it's all about whether you are willing to pay the fine every once in a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts