Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at FoMoCo's ride, I remembered that the owner told me he had some Boyd Cottington wheels and every year, he had to spend about 8 hours polishing/cleaning them to keep them from being damaged. Q-Tips were involved.

He said if I get new wheels, I should definintely get chromed [which I like anyway]. Have any of you heard about having to specially clean or polish bright aluminum alloys to prevent damage?

The wheels that will eventually arrive with my car are polished 17's but the Ford website had no photos of them when I ordered it and now has about 8 variations of polished aluminum wheels so I still have no idea what stock, polished aluminum 17's look like.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure if I understand your post. My car has 64W optional wheels from ford not Boyds, Anyway the 17 inch ford alum wheel look like these.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops

Oops, I am a dumbass. Bad editing! The owner, of where I work, was what I meant, not [you] the owner of the car. In other words, my boss had Cottington wheels. While his look awesome, I don't think they look good enough to warrant eight hours a year of maintenance, all in one shot. Every year.

I don't spend that kind of time on my relationship! :)

-David

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think most of Fords wheels are clearcoated. If so you just need to keep them cleaned and maybe a little wax, no polishing needed.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Chrome is not the way to go imo. ive seen so many chrome wheels where the chrome flakes off and corrodes where the tire bead seals along the rim causing headaches with slow leaks. Polished Alum I thing is the most durable and still get great looks. Be aware of them outside wheel weights too!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good point Stoenr, dont ever put them clip/pound on wheel weights to the lip of your wheels, they will corrode under the weights every time

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tri Bar

FoMoCo said:
My car has 64W optional wheels from ford Anyway the 17 inch ford alum wheel look like these.
Those are the standard machined wheels aren't they? I got the 64D with the tri-bar cap. I don't think the tri-bar comes with the pictured ones. God I hope not. I am assuming the tri-bar is the little thing that looks like the retro "knock-off" right?

Why is it so hard to find photos of what the car looks like? Grrrr.

-David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.