Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! Been a looooooong time, I know. Unfortunately, the Lady is not my only project. I have 4 children and Hubby and I have bought a house and moved and been in renovations of one form or another. Life keeps us busy, to say the least. As of late, Hubby and I have rekindled our efforts in getting things started in fixing up the Lady. To remind those who don't know the Lady, she is a 1967 Coupe, original color was Springtime Yellow. We believe she was a Sprint model. Here's the question for now, though. The original sales paper says "Luxury Interior Package", but I think I remember Dad saying he had the "Pony Package". Anyone wanna sort me out here? I'd sure appreciate it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

I did not know that! So, I guess it's just "Luxury Interior", whatever that means. We're not 100% sure about the Sprint, it doesn't say anything on the sales paper. But, it had the luggage rack, the chrome over the wheel wells, etc. The other day, we found where Dad had pulled the oarnge & black sticker off the intake, he'd stuck it to Granpa's garage wall. It's kinda funny, like a little treasure hunt. Dad was a bit eccentric and took small things off the car, and we're trying to find them. We can't find the wheel covers or the pony from the front grill he removed the to improve air flow, because the makers of Ford surely didn't get that part right, lol! Thanks for getting back to me, nice to meet you.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It was also called the "Deluxe Interior". It would have had an aluminum gauge surround and dash panels. The door panels were different and had aluminium inserts, and the seats were standard seats, but to make the luxury/deluxe they had a single vertical chrome bar/emblem 2.75" tall and .5" wide mounted on the seat back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Doesn't cost much more to go first class"

"Like a lot of other 'luxury' items that means mostly that they charged extra for it."

lol, yah! The sales slip said something like $30, lol!

(the title is just a silly quote from my father inlaw, used when asked if you want cheese on your burger or something)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
(the title is just a silly quote from my father inlaw, used when asked if you want cheese on your burger or something)
My version of that was very similar: "Its only pennies a day to go first class."

In 1967 $30 would actually buy something likely nearly 7 full tanks of gas for a Mustang.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Sprint model was introduced in 1966 as a marketing tool used to slow the sales of the V-8 s during that time. The Sprint had 2 versions a manual transmission and an automatic. the Automatic transmission. Both were dressed up over the standard 6 cylinder to allure some of the V-8 consumers. The auto version had the factory delete intake scoops on the sides, wire wheel covers with blue centered small spinners. All Sprints had the center console and a decal on the air cleaner that says "Mustang powered Sprint 200". To upgrade the interior you could add the Interior Decor group for $108 or you could order the luxury Coupe model which came with the pony interior and other interior upgrades. I don't believe Ford ever listed the interior as a "pony interior". I think that is what the consumers called it based on the mustangs embossed on the seats.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Ford first used the Sprint name on a falcon in 64 and 65 but passed it over to the mustang to help sells of the inline 6 cars.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The Sprint model was introduced in 1966 as a marketing tool used to slow the sales of the V-8 s during that time. The Sprint had 2 versions a manual transmission and an automatic. the Automatic transmission. Both were dressed up over the standard 6 cylinder to allure some of the V-8 consumers. The auto version had the factory delete intake scoops on the sides, wire wheel covers with blue centered small spinners. All Sprints had the center console and a decal on the air cleaner that says "Mustang powered Sprint 200". To upgrade the interior you could add the Interior Decor group for $108 or you could order the luxury Coupe model which came with the pony interior and other interior upgrades. I don't believe Ford ever listed the interior as a "pony interior". I think that is what the consumers called it based on the mustangs embossed on the seats.
You got it. My car's a Sprint 200! It's the automatic version. It came from the factory with a full length center console, the accent delete (pinstripe around the C-Curve and removal of the fake brake scoop (my pinstripe disappeared in the 80s when it was repainted by the previous owner)), the "deluxe" 48 spoke wire wheel covers, a special chrome air cleaner with a decal that says "Mustang Powered Sprint 200", a chrome oil cap, chrome radiator cap, and a chrome brake fluid cap. I have added bits of the pony interior to my car. My friends neighbor had an original woodgrain bezel and woodgrain glovebox door, so I put them on, added woodgrain to my console, and replaced the crappy grant wood wheel with a reproduction woodgrain rimblow steering wheel. We are looking at putting dark red and parchment pony upholstery in after it gets repainted.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Here's the list of how many Springtime Yellow coupes had deluxe interior in 67, by interior code, since I don't know which interior you have.

5A....42
5U....20
6A....1,012
6D....3
6F....147
6G....3
6U....161

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone! I'll look up that code later today. We've submitted the warrenty number (aka vin?) to Ford to see what they come up with. We can tell this is going to be alot of work, but soooooooooooo much fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts