Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car down to the track about three weeks ago and now when i push my clutch pedal in I hear/feel a popping noise. It dosen't happen all the time, it has actually only happened four times. The car is a 2001 Gt 5spd, has 59,000 miles and i suspect it is still on the original clutch. Is this an early sign of clutch failure? Thanks for any help you can give.

Travis

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My guess would be that the clutch cable is getting hung up on something. Could be a couple other things, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will have to look that up in my shop manual. Thanks.

Travis

·
Registered
21 Posts
sounds like....

I figure the throw out bearing is about to give up the gost. when it pops is it after the clutch peddle is on the floor only or as you push it to the floor only?:handball:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Can you feel it in your foot? I had a clutch cable break, lucky for me I was in my driveway!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has done it in a while so i guess i will have to wait until it starts doing it again. Thanks for the help.

Travis

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a 1988 GT Convertible

I am getting a clutch popping noise as well. It happens after the car has been running for a while. It pops while im pushing the clutch pedal down right before it hits the floor. I can feel it in my foot and it does not do it all the time. Correct me if this is wrong but could it be the automatic clutch cable adapter or the cable being hung up on something?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
lol if its an 88 this should prolly be in the 5.0 tech section, however, luckily they use the same design for the clutch for most years of the 4.6 cars... im assuming that ur quadrant and cable are stock and if by "automatic clutch cable adapter" u mean the quadrant?? if u feel the pedal jump when it makes the noise then its prolly gettin hung up on something or springs are getting worn etc... how many miles are on that particular clutch/cable do u know? we need a bit more info

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've got a 1988 GT Convertible

I am getting a clutch popping noise as well. It happens after the car has been running for a while. It pops while im pushing the clutch pedal down right before it hits the floor. I can feel it in my foot and it does not do it all the time. Correct me if this is wrong but could it be the automatic clutch cable adapter or the cable being hung up on something?

Actually, I'm betting on a broken bearing retainer. The T5 was famous for the bearing retainer cracking. The bearing retainer is bolted to the front of the transmission and the throw out bearing rides on it. When they crack, and you push the clutch pedal down, the throw out bearing will slide forward on this retainer, and the pop you hear is the bearing riding over the break. They are easy to change and Summit offers a replacement steel one that is alot stronger than the stock one. :bigthumbsup

If it is the cable giving out, you would notice it being hard to get into gear, not just a pop sound. :scratchchin

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

·
Registered
30 Posts
I apologize for posting in the wrong section, I just put this problem in the search and I didn't realize it took me to the 4.6 thread, but thank you for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.