Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting a new clutch installed in my 2002 GT I can hear a popping sound coming from underneath my car. Sounds like it's coming from where the header meets up with the H-pipe. Is there a way to narrow down the area of the leak? Is there a product that I can use to stop a leak? any info would be a huge help.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
popping like backfire? or a ticking sound?

just check all connections really good

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
exaust leak. check all connections

i reccomend haveing everything welded.

my whole system is welded ( but i dontm have an H pipe, you need a clamop there incase you have to drp tranny.

the only place mine comes apart is at the headers

but id put it up on jacks. have someone start it and listen and look ect ect. be careful pipes get hot fast. dont touch moveing parts, wear saftey glasses.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
yeah i would try tightening down the bolts at header/midpipe connection. mine leaked there and i just gave em a good tightening and it was all set.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
If you have access to a lift it'll be easy to find, just lift it up while running, if not you can do it on jack stands, but be very careful. Its likely where the mid pipe meets the headers, one side has a gasket that some people forget to reinstall, and it can be hard to tighten the bolts properly. At worst you could pull the mid pipe out, and install a new gasket and make sure everything is properly tight, if you don't start all the bolts before you tighten anything down its fairly common to get a leak or bad fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.