Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i would like to say that this is what i want to do i would like to do it and i am going to do it i just need feedback on results and how much to port. This is all i have right now and i have heard if done right there are gains. Please if your not willing to help and just want to say how retarted porting the stock manifold is please do not post..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well lets see

First off i would like to say that this is what i want to do i would like to do it and i am going to do it i just need feedback on results and how much to port. This is all i have right now and i have heard if done right there are gains. Please if your not willing to help and just want to say how retarted porting the stock manifold is please do not post..
How much you port it? First off you are porting different areas. Make sure what ever increase in size you port on the bottom end you match the ports on the heads or it is pointless. Also Match the ports on the upper and lower intakes.

Here is some good info should help you.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/IntakePorting.pdf

R

·
0 Posts
With a stock manifold the gains will be minimal.....

But since you are doing it ......

i would just do a gasket match and smooth out the emmision humps....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:headscratch:so if im not porting my heads too i just need to get it gasket match? im lost if i port the manifold do i need to port my heads?

R

·
0 Posts
:headscratch:so if im not porting my heads too i just need to get it gasket match? im lost if i port the manifold do i need to port my heads?
on a stock manifold all you want to do is smooth out the rough casting & gasket match

truth be known stock heads and intake will not net enough gain to merit any significant amount of time and money....

but yes if you port the manifold for the best results you should port the heads

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Port matching and taking out the rough surface is what you want to do. Since it's carrying only air, you want it smooth. If it was carrying both air and fuel, then you wouldn't want it totally smooth.
That's about all you can really do to it because you can't reach all the areas that could be improved. If you were to have it extrude honed, then you'd get some gains but they'd be negated by the stock heads which are the real restriction.

·
Registered
621 Posts
First, all you can really do besides taking off the emission bump in the head exhaust port is gasket matching....and that is not porting. Porting is different and requires knowing what you are doing, getting way into the port deep, and as Eagle pointed out leaving the correct surface.

You can do what the earlier home porting link suggests, but as Reg pointed out the gains for the amount of work required are really minimal and there is a risk of damage if you are not careful or don't have the right tools.

What a person can reasonably do is gasket match, but the gains there are almost non-existant. You can also make things worse if you don't align things correctly. Generally the best thing is to only open the intake up a little bit, and then open up the head intake port to the gasket. This way you won't obstruct the edges of the port with a "wall" in the direction of flow if things are a little off.

Tom

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:bigthumbsup o ok thanks for all the help so if i plan on running wet nitrous there is no need to gasket match? or am i missing something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.