Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after 11hrs I finally got my posi trak installed. One thing I noticed was when I took out the old differential wasl I had to remove 2 U bolts but when I put th2 posi track in I didn't place them back. So do I need the U bolts back in there?

·
Registered
217 Posts
There are no U-Bolts anywhere in the 7.5 or 8.8 differential. The only U-Bolts would be on the axle tubes near the brakes. If that is what you are talking about it would be a good idea to reinstall those parts. They hold on what is call the "Anti-moan Bracket".

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but these two came out of the differntail maybe they were c bolts. I don't know the exact term for them. They look like a U. And are about a inch long and wide. Maybe they are what you are talking about. It drive fine with out them, but I don't anything to break. I will try to get a picture up later.

·
Registered
217 Posts
From what you are describing it sounds like the U-Washer the hold the axles into the differential. Are the parts a flat piece of metal in a U shape? If so you will definitely want to take it apart and put those in. The only thing keeping your axle from coming out is the brake caliper otherwise and the axle will be floating in and out all over the place.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya that's the one. I will be putting that backtonight... does that mean I need to take the posi track apart cuz if it does ill pay some one to do it.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
holy cow yes you need those. you`ll have to push the axles in, install those c clips, push the axles back out, the clips fit into a recess, then the shaft with the lock bolt goes inbetweeen the axles to hold the c lips in place. you dont need to remove the t lok

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya that could have been ugly maybe. you`ll have to pull the brakes loose. when i did mine, i glued the cover gasket to the rear end housing but not the cover. then when i did a 500 mile gear oil change, the cover got glued on too. that rtv silicone is junk too, use the yellow gasket sealer.

the c-clips are a little tricky to get in there with that steel s pc in between the gears, but it will go in. i thought maybe i had a pic of it, but i only had one from tearing it down( of the clip). one issue i had was that shaft in the center, would only come out part way on one side past the ring gear, so i could only rotate the diff half way around. just because the 3.73 ring gear is so much thicker than the 3.31. you didnt say if you added a gear. if you stayed with the 3.31, that shaft has plenty of room to come out, move the axles in, install the clips, spread them back out, re install the shaft.

then of course i had to add some bling from cjpony :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I stayed with 3.31 for two reasons, I already get bad mpg and my dad says I'm only allowed to buy parts aslong as I can install it at home and gears seemed like to much work.

Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
No I stayed with 3.31 for two reasons, I already get bad mpg and my dad says I'm only allowed to buy parts aslong as I can install it at home and gears seemed like to much work.

Thanks for all the info
that was a good choice. the 3.31 is not a bad gear to have. :bigthumbsup in the 60`s a stock gear was like a 2.73

1 - 11 of 11 Posts