Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we've seen lots of negatives, but I thought I'd throw out a positive regarding my experience.

This past weekend, I participated in the Mustang Club of America's sponsored high performance driving experience at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, South Carolina ( http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/ ). Was convenient as I only live an hour away and some good friends that are instructors were there also with their turbo Miatas.

MCA members got a slight discount on the event which was two full days of instructor led road course driving (A class students could go without instructors). My class level (C) was for pretty much one brief level above true beginners. In my class were several mustangs of all types, miatas, BMWs....around 16 or so total. My car is stock except for basic cosmetic stuff including all season tires.

I can tell you the car performed admirably the two days even in the ridiculous heat...Sunday afternoon track temps got to 140 degrees!

I got the pass from several cars including the turbo Miatas (could not keep up in the straights), Roush 427R (thought about getting one of these), and several '07-'10 model GTs. My car really shined in the straights which made me smile.

So to summarize, the car did awesome especially considering my skill level and the car being pretty much bone stock. I think I will need new front brake pads and some new tires soon though! :laugh:

Thanks Ford! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know we've seen lots of negatives, but I thought I'd throw out a positive regarding my experience.

This past weekend, I participated in the Mustang Club of America's sponsored high performance driving experience at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, South Carolina ( Carolina MotorSports Park ). Was convenient as I only live an hour away and some good friends that are instructors were there also with their turbo Miatas.

MCA members got a slight discount on the event which was two full days of instructor led road course driving (A class students could go without instructors). My class level (C) was for pretty much one brief level above true beginners. In my class were several mustangs of all types, miatas, BMWs....around 16 or so total. My car is stock except for basic cosmetic stuff including all season tires.

I can tell you the car performed admirably the two days even in the ridiculous heat...Sunday afternoon track temps got to 140 degrees!

I got the pass from several cars including the turbo Miatas (could not keep up in the straights), Roush 427R (thought about getting one of these), and several '07-'10 model GTs. My car really shined in the straights which made me smile.

So to summarize, the car did awesome especially considering my skill level and the car being pretty much bone stock. I think I will need new front brake pads and some new tires soon though! :laugh:

Thanks Ford! :bigthumbsup
Glad to hear it, and glad to know of a place to get a class in real driving.

How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Nice. Sounds like a good time. Certainly refreshing to have a positive post. Congrats.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice! That sounds like fun. I live in Rock Hill, not too far from Kershaw.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Amen, and thanks for a thread with some good news. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Awesome! Nothing like a track day to fully appreciate our cars!!!
BTW, WHERE ARE THE PICS???

·
Registered
461 Posts
Great to hear someone who is truly happy with their car. I could not be happier with mine. I also have a base mustang with the 17 inch michelins. I believe I posted in another post about this but I test drove miata's, honda accord 2 dr's, a solstice and a dealer finally told me to test drive the mustang convertible he had. After five minutes behind the wheel I knew why mustang has been around for all these years. Ford has refined this car to still be sporty and a daily driver. My test drive was in a 2009, then I test drove a 2011. what a difference!! But the key is I test drove the car and I knew what I was getting. I was not getting a Shelby or a Vette, or even a 5.0, i was getting a V6 mustang that happens to be really fast. It is sluggish at take off but hey I opted for the auto, I knew it would be a bit sluggish. But once you put your foot into it, it goes. ive been going 100 several times without even realizing it. It handles so good and drives so comfortably for a sports or sporty car as some might say. I go to sleep with anticipation of waking up to go for a drive, and soon as I slide into the seat, i have a smile on my face. I love that first crank in the morning, no its not a V8 rumble, but it does have a little growl when you first crank it up. I love my car. I bought what I could afford this time, but i a couple years, I will buy another mustang, and I am sure it will be at least a 5.0 if they are still making it, and I will hand my current baby down to my real baby who will be graduating highschool by that time. Until then though I will keep :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear it, and glad to know of a place to get a class in real driving.

How many miles are on your car?
Tripped 6k during the event.

Awesome! Nothing like a track day to fully appreciate our cars!!!
BTW, WHERE ARE THE PICS???
I would imagine there will be lots of pics in the next Mustang Times magazine. Lots of pics being taken by the staff. One of the touring sessions (mild laps without need of instructor or helmets since there was no passing and speed was limited to 60) all the mustangs from all the groups went out first. Looked really nice seeing so many stangs taking laps together. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
635 Posts
You must have been doing something wrong, your glass tranny should have grenaded. I'll get back to you after I call my peeps and try to figure out what went wrong......

:kooky:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You must have been doing something wrong, your glass tranny should have grenaded. I'll get back to you after I call my peeps and try to figure out what went wrong......

Well, I did miss quite a few shifts during my many hours of intense driving education...surely that is a sign of the transmission and not my crappy driving. :smartass:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

:bigthumbsup

In tell the other guy posts in here to mess this thread up

Mine drives great I should make a video to show poeple how to drive a manual :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention I averaged 6.9 MPG on two full tanks during the event....obviously well below the 26 advertised. :kooky:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.