Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Presently own a very low mileage "94 Cobra and I recently heard of a "67 Vert for sale "a barn find". Before I go to check it out, I thought it would be best to check with you guys. Here's what the owner told me, 289 w/4 spd., motor rebuilt w/300 miles, new floor pans BUT the old ones were not removed, some body work on rear quarter panels and garaged. He added that the top was damaged, something fell on it.
He is somewhat of a collector and is down sizing. A friend of mine knows the guy and said he's legit.
I've been a Mustang guy for a very long time but I've been away from the older Stangs for years. I did own a "67 GT 390 fastback many years ago.
I need some advice as to what to look and would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It sounds like the previous work will need to be addressed. You might want to start over there. Otherwise look for rust holes in the usual spots, see how bent the top bows are, check the engine oil, see if the engine turns over, how much stuff is missing, etc. 'hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
installed new floor pans but did not remove the old...what the hell is wrong with people?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Kinda what I thought. My reference was to the bodywork. There was a shop around here that did the same thing. They're outa business but I still hear people's nightmares.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, the floor pan's will definately have to be redone, need to check the cowl to see if it is rusted if it is the upper cowl will have to be removed and the lower cowl replaced, check the torque boxes under the car for any rust , sub frame rail's need to be checked also and all the floor reinforcement brace's need to be checked, if alll this is in bad shape that will be a load of sheet metal replacement, Lizer is correct ,why the heck did they not remove the old floor pan's before installing the new one's ,to me this sound's like a shoddy repair job and tell's me a crap load of bad patching may be hidden. just my 2 cent's worth!!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bring us back some pictures of this adventure. If the top rails are damaged ...that's quite a bit of money to replace. Also check the "tunnel" for the rust that may have come through the top well. As stated earlier torque boxes were a common problem, so while your checking those the front rails are issues too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bring us back some pictures of this adventure. If the top rails are damaged ...that's quite a bit of money to replace. Also check the "tunnel" for the rust that may have come through the top well. As stated earlier torque boxes were a common problem, so while your checking those the front rails are issues too.
Have an appt. to see the car tomorrow, going w/a mustang restoration guy who has seen plenty of them. Will take pic's and let you know how it goes.
Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgetaboutit!!

It wasn't even worth taking pic's. Prior to going over, he said the motor was rebuilt w/less than 300 miles, he's owned the car since 1978 w/85,000 miles and put about 5,000 miles on it
The motor looked so bad, you would've thought it was original. It needs lots and lots of body work.
He said, it was appraised at $9,000.00, I suggested to him to sell it to the appraiser. I offered him $2,500.00 and hoped he wouldn't take it, he didn't.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts