Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a mustang for a very long time, and have been researching them for years. However, I haven't been in a position to purchase one: that is, up until now. I have some money saved up and after years of searching online, I have found a pretty strong contender. I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some feedback on this particular SN95. Here's the link: 1996 mustang gt 350HP H/C/I

The thing is that this car is at the top of my price range and I would not have any money to spend on it should something go wrong. The other side to this is that I would hopefully be satisfied enough with this car's performance that I would be able to hold off modifying it for a short while. Is there anything I should beware of?
What do you think?

Thanks for your time.
Nick

·
Registered
102 Posts
i would take a really really good look at it and offer them 4300 cash make sure u put it in there hand and let them feel it and most of the time they will take it. it is a very nice car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, I would much rather start off with a lightly modded car, because then I could put work into it and have the satisfaction and peace of mind knowing that I did it myself. That's the whole point of modifying a car in my opinion. I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, I have slobbered on Mustangs for years. FINALLY bought a 2007 about 6 months ago...now wish I had waited and bought a 2011. Buy what you want and then be ready to make Mustangs your new life...its NEVER quite good enough....GOOD LUCK!

·
Banned
335 Posts
You would definitley have to check that car out and
also the condition of the under body.
Something really sounds fishy to me about that car.
The odometer stopped working at 78K miles and he is
only asking 5K for that car with all those mods.
That car could possibly have 200K+ miles for all you know.
In my experience on Craigslist you will only find some nice vehicles
but,alot of people I have seen in the past are trying to pass
off junk on people.People also flake out on deals on Craigslist
all the time.
Lately I have been looking eBay Motors and have been finding
some excellent condition Ford Mustangs for sale check it out.
eBay Motors - Autos, Used Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Trucks, Parts, Accessories, RVs and Other Vehicles

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does seem rather odd, but that's why I brought it to the experts at AFM :kooky: Thanks man!

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Car looks clean from the pics...Not bad at all.
Obviously, go look at it and drive it.

5k with all those mods...there could be a problem with the car or maybe the dude just needs to get rid of it.
What gets me is that he's put all the mods on the car, yet is too lazy to fix the odometer? I don't understand that.

It doesn't seem too unreasonable considering I've seen stock Fox bodies where dummies want 9k for their cars, and dealers try to get 20k for "Bullet Edition" SN95's. You see all kinds of stuff on Craigslist

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would find out WHY he is selling the car and HOW LONG he has owned it, and I would ask in person. If the guy is slippery/hesitant/not believable or if he didn't perform the mods/has receipts ect..- stay away from it!

It is rare to find highly modified cars - or even tastefully modified cars, in good condition, for cheap. If guys put THAT much money into a ride they have taken good care of - they have to be pretty desperate to sell it for cheap and that is EXTREMELY rare to find.

Usually what I find is that the car was purchased as it sits (for the most part) and the current owner has no idea what was actually done to the car - he is just repeating what he was told. There is likely a problem that is not immediately obvious and he has already figured out that it will cost him big$$ to fix it. So he is trying to cut his losses by selling it.

Just don't let an attractive price and fancy bolt-ons sway your perception of what a car REALLY is. If you don't know, take someone with you that does. Always ask if you can take it to a shop and have it checked out - even if you don't plan to - the seller will almost always show their hand if they are already aware of a problem.

If you are limited on budget you definitely don't want to buy anything that may not be reliable - then the car is worthless to you when it breaks and you can't afford to fix it - or you make cheap fixes that ends up breaking other stuff.

Keep taking your time and find a clean car that you can buy from someone who has owned it for a longer period of time and that knows something about it, maybe that has records of repairs and service ect...

Modified or stock, Mustangs have the potential to be good cars. Unfortunately many of them are very abused through several owners and several years of use - subsequently they are a money pit and a real PITA if you don't like fixing/spending money on them - and much more so if it is a daily driver.

·
Registered
446 Posts
dude i would pass on that car i know it sounds like a really good deal on heavily modded car but from the little bit he said in the add would turn me awa due to he says "when i bought the car the odometer stopped working" so basically he can put a few thousand dollars in a car but not fix something that Needs to be fixed especialy something like that idk i would pass something will come along it might not be as modded as that but hey thats the fun start from scratch and then you get to say Ive done all the work! but good luck on whatever you decide!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.