Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 02 gt with 86,000 miles the car has no cats, h pipe, and flow masters. i noticed that it has white smoke coming out of the tail pipes, its not a lot nor is it really thick. could this be that the car is burning engine oil or is this just a characteristic of having no cats?

i did change the oil 3 days ago and the oil from the pan and filter was about 5 quarts instead of 6, the guy i bought it from said he had just changed the oil about 2 weeks before i bought the car.

can anyone please help me out, thanks

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Does it happen all the time, or just at start-up or what?

5 quarts used to be the recommended fill capacity, and Ford upped it to 6 later on in the MY's. I have a '99 and I used to put 5 quarts in it until just lately when I found that out.

Condensation in the exhaust can cause white smoke... which is obviously no big deal.

Definitely keep an eye on your oil level.

Also keep an eye on your coolant level. A blown head gasket can cause you to burn coolant. Not saying that's necessarily your issue though.

You could just have a bad plug or COP that's not firing properly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the coolant level is fine, it may just need new plugs i dont think they have ever been changed to my knowledge, the car also is running a little rich.

thanks for the suggestions :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts