Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now my 1999 Ford Mustang GT has had a weird smell that arises when I either just filled my tank or when I take sharp turns. A few days ago I have filled my tank up to F for the first time in awhile and I took a turn and noticed a small trail in the rear view mirror and smelled a raw gas smell. I have had the Mustang in the driveway ever since and have been taking the subway to work and from work. I thought I would hope on AFM first before I go to the shop. Anyone have any answers!?! Thank you ahead of time!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's very common for the rubber gourmet that seals the filler neck to the gas tank rot and leak fuel.

The parts is $19 at the Ford dealer but you have to drop the tank to install it..

When I bought my 01 it was rotten as well and leaked everywhere

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's very common for the rubber gourmet that seals the filler neck to the gas tank rot and leak fuel.

The parts is $19 at the Ford dealer but you have to drop the tank to install it..

When I bought my 01 it was rotten as well and leaked everywhere

Yea really. I told my co-worker about it and he said something like that fuel neck filler maybe but not sure. I dont have the proper skills, tools do drop the tank and install it. Roughly how much would this cost to do it at a shop?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cost is $100 at the dealer for labor and $19 for the part... That's what I paid since I had just moved back from Germany and did not have my tools yet :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
it is a rubber grommet that connects the filler hose to the gas tank, i have 96gt 5spd and had to replace it. it really isn't hard but a extra set of hands is helpful. it cost me $34 at my local raping a$$ ford dealer. they wanted $50 - $75 labor to put it on.. i got tired of only filling my car up with a half tank. very frustrating indeed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cost is $100 at the dealer for labor and $19 for the part... That's what I paid since I had just moved back from Germany and did not have my tools yet :)

Ok thanks alot, thought it might be more like $200.00, these mechanics nowadays want to rape u with no vaseline.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a rubber grommet that connects the filler hose to the gas tank, i have 96gt 5spd and had to replace it. it really isn't hard but a extra set of hands is helpful. it cost me $34 at my local raping a$$ ford dealer. they wanted $50 - $75 labor to put it on.. i got tired of only filling my car up with a half tank. very frustrating indeed.

Yea that's Ford for u, they luv raping. When your rubber grommet was bad, did u get a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on? if yes, did it go away after u changed the part?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.