Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm gettin around $800 soon to throw into my car plus 50 hours of free labor. currently I have CAI, flows, and an off road h pipe. I'm trying to think of what to do for a couple mods on my car.
What I'm thinking of is some 3.73 gears, a professional products intake manifold, and possibly some headers but dont know what to go with? If not headers I was thinking of going with a cam, either an e cam or some recommended cam? I know nothing about cams at all. other than a lot of people with mild combos use the ford racing e cam.

If my combo doesn't sound good then what should I do for the amount of money I'm getting to throw into my car?

I'm getting my 50 hours of free labor from a friend who works in a shop in Stocton California. I forgot the name of the shop but I'm guessing their very reputable because hes told me about some of the cars in the shop and some of the included were a couple Bentleys, Rolls, old skool hot rods... I didn't believe the rolls and Bentley part until he showd me some pics of what they were and what was being done to them and a couple pics. All my friend does is small things in the shop and detailing but he can get any tool he will need he said and if theirs anything he doesn't understand or know how to do there are other people there who know. but for the basic mods I'm having him do I'm sure he will be able to do. I know a couple of the mods I can do but might as well have him do them because he is doing 50 hours of labor on my car. also He said he would get it on a lift and inspect it to find out if anythings going wrong or if it has any problems.

thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
you might take advantage of the free labor and get ported, then id go with the gears and a posi.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to see if I can get him or someone in the shop to port the stock heads. either that or if i can find some gt 40 heads in a junk yard and have them rebuilt.
I'm not sure if he will be able to have that done or not

for the gears I was looking at a ford racing kit from blue oval industeries this is the kit
Ford Racing 8.8" 3.73 Ring & Pinion Kit M-4209-F373N at Blue Oval Industries for your Ford Mustang @ Blue Oval Industries

other than the components that come in the kit what will I need? I'm guessing a rear end seal, the rear end lube and thats it right? or am I missing some things? should I buy this kit too?
Ford Racing M-4210-B 8.8" Ring & Pinion install kit at Blue Oval Industries for your Ford Mustang @ Blue Oval Industries

also I know I will need a speedo gear and what tooth for a 5 speed with 3.73s? also that kit comes with some things that already come in the kit that comes with the ring and pinion.
I dont know what else I will need? any one know?

·
Registered
576 Posts
You shouldnt commit to buying anything until your guy is sure nothing is wrong, things always go wrong when your broke. The 3.73's will be a big change probably the biggest for the money, then its up to you: cam, pulley kit, intake, or for about $600 you could buy a 75hp nitrous kit but then you couldnt buy much else

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have a 150 shot that came on the car, but I'm selling it when I get a new intake manifold because I don't understand enough about nitrous to use it on my daily driver. to scared of too many things to go wrong that I don't know about and don't even know if the kit was installed right.

but ya I understand what you mean about making sure about everything before I buy it

·
Registered
576 Posts
cool, cool.. yea that is a good move because a 150 shot is way too much for a stock motor especially a daily driver... I have seen guys with stock pistons that looked like someone tried to drive a nail through them because of it

·
Registered
427 Posts
ya thats what I thought. Even if it was a smaller shot i really just dont understand enough about nitrous and only 2 times I've been around it my friends engine blew and my cousins camaro spun out of control but didn't crash but still scared the crap out of me.

anyone else have any opinions?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yeah dont get rid of the nitrous...run a 100 shot...you will be fine...and its easy to learn how to use it....read up about it ask questions aske people at a track that run it to explain i would never get rid of N20 if i had it already.....i used it on every one of my cars and NEVER....NEVER had a problem if you tune for it and respect it you will be fine i have a 100 shot on a $45.000 dollar brand new Magnum SRT-8 thats alreay making 425 hp stock i run 12.0 all day with a 100 shot on street tires...that in my opinion the best bang for you buck.......IMO....

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Nitrous, by itself, doesn't blow an engine. It's an improper tune for when the nitrous is engaged is what blows gaskets.

I'd recommend going with the gears, that'd be the biggest step you could make. Lucky you have that free labor. After that, go with the intake and throttle body.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know of where to get a tune for nitrous, but also I would want someone to check it over before I ran it to make sure that it was installed properly. also the only thing I don't have is the bottle and I heard thats cheep.

What I think i'm going to do is get some 3.73 gears first, and I know motiv is a bad brand, but from up above was that a good kit? if so can you tell me if I need the instillation kit or not? and if that is not a good kit then can you tell me what is

o and my friend said he could have my heads ported and polished. Would that make that big of difference on stock heads?

R

·
0 Posts
in my opinion a nitrous tune is simple on a dry kit...
my best advice is research ...research .....research

with nitrous greed = disaster

to wake up a stock 5.0.....gears

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok I'm planning so far gears, a king cobra clutch, have my heads ported and polished(he said he could have it done at his work free because someone owes him), and depending on how much I have the professional products intake manifold. sound good?

Also my friend said having my heads ported and polished would wear out my bottom end really fast and it wouldn't be worth it, it would only gain me a couple horsepower, is this true?
also I'm trying to find out what kit to get for the gears, is the one I posted above good? and does it come with everything I need other than a diff cover gasket and gear lube?

R

·
0 Posts
my suggestion ...get a new friend

port & polishing your head will not hurt your bottom end
a marginal gain of 20 HP can be excepted...
there are mixed view on the professional products intake

for the money they are not bad...if you get the head work done
you can have the intake clean up at the same time

if the gears come as kit it should be all inclusive
otherwise you will need to buy the installation kit

based upon the age of the car while you have it apart i would rebuild or replace the posi unit...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well hes one of the chevy loving ford haters lol its fun to keep him around.

all right I'll have him do that when I get the heads done.

I dont think i need a new unit because still everytime I do a burnout it spins both tires.

well I really dont know what all should come in the kit or what it should need so can you look at that kit and see if all I would need to buy would be gear lube and if so what kind and a rear diff cover gasket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
in my opinion you might want to thank about a msd rev box,so atleast that way you can set the rpm rev limit

R

·
0 Posts
in my opinion you might want to thank about a msd rev box,so atleast that way you can set the rpm rev limit
imo he doesn't need a rev limiter at this time...the stock computer will not let the motor spin over 6500

when the car gets to that point a need the ignition system the msd(6AlL) will take care of that....

Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont really need a rev box first because I dont rev my car past 5500 anyway while racing and I haven't even been to the drag strip yet. but I do understand why you would say that incase I missed a shift or something. is this right or not? i havent really messed around with car ignitions yet and dont know much about it.

anything else I should look into getting that would be better than what I should get? I know gears for sure and I'm getting the heads done for free unless valves or anything need to be changed. the intake manifold a king cobra clutch...?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts