Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have glossy black Bullitts and I want to powdercoat them a flatter black. Currently there's a narrow machined (unpainted) lip around the rim. The guy I'm talking to about the powdercoating says it will be quite a bit less expensive to take the powdercoat all the way to the edge, eliminating the machined lip. So my question is: Is this lip for looks only, or is it also because any paint or powdercoat in that area would be damaged by the equipment when tires are dismounted or mounted?
Gracias.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a guess on my part, but I'd say both.........looks and damage control.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Heh, Purrvert

? What does this mean:
"Member, Jehovah's Witness Protection Program"
It's in your sig.

Russ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
? What does this mean:
"Member, Jehovah's Witness Protection Program"
It's in your sig.

Well it's a joke, of sorts. Not the funniest joke in the world... but then, no joke is funny if you have to explain it. :shocked:

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
PurrVert said:
............ So my question is: Is this lip for looks only, or is it also because any paint or powdercoat in that area would be damaged by the equipment when tires are dismounted or mounted?
Gracias.
The lip is used for wheel weights in balancing. But wheels can be balanced with weights on the inside only.
Some alignment machines heads go on the inside lip also, this would pose as a problem. Most newer ones tho mount on the outside of the lip, vs inside now.
But watch some tires use a rim protector design and can make getting the Aligner heads on a pain. The tech may need to let the air out of tires to get heads on, then refill.

Other than that, I cant think of any other problems. Watch curbs tho!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It would be "quite a bit less expensive" if you just spray painted them with hardware store paint.
What you want to do is neat, do it right.
My point being ...if you want to detail your wheels have all your bucks ready. Save the nice outer trim ring look, and have the stupid weights glued to the inside. That would look super. Do it Right!!!
The rims you have look fine. If you want to change the look, save up the $$$, and make it look sweeeet. Don't go cheap on the wheels my friend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt - anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
53 Posts
PurrVert, you mind posting some pictures of your current wheels on your car? I am looking at the same wheels and would like to see them on a Mineral Grey. Where did you get them? And...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The black 17x8 Bullitts were $170 at discounttire.com. I probably could have done a little better with more effort.

I have a lot of black on my Mineral Grey. Side mirrors, side stripes, splash guards, all black. And since I have a vert, the top is black. And all of this black is flat black, so the glossy black rims seem out of place to me. That's why I want to powdercoat them a flat black. Btw, the site called them "semi gloss", which I thought would be flat enough. I was wrong, and that's the risk I took when I decided to buy on the Internet.

Of course opinions differ, and I've had several compliments on my wheels.

As for a pic ...... wouldn't mind at all, but my hard disk crashed last night. I'll have to get it replaced first... :mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Purr
I look back at my response up top and its kind of rude on my part. Sorry about that.
Did you go over to Tirerack.com and view a mineral gray vert with black rims/polished lip?
I'm thinking without the polished edge on the rims, a side view of your car wont have any accents at all. Some folks like that look, but its pretty different. Kind of bland in my opinion. Whatever you decide please post pic's of the finished car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I look back at my response up top and its kind of rude on my part. Sorry about that.
Oh, well it didn't strike me as rude, fuggidaboutit.

Did you go over to Tirerack.com and view a mineral gray vert with black rims/polished lip?
Apparently not, since I paid $15 more than their price! Although I did spend some time there.

I'm thinking without the polished edge on the rims, a side view of your car wont have any accents at all. Some folks like that look, but its pretty different. Kind of bland in my opinion. Whatever you decide please post pic's of the finished car.
Yeah I think you're right. So if I do powdercoat them, I'll keep the machined lip.

Pics will be forthcoming as soon as I get my home computer running again, which may be a couple of weeks. I can post here from work, but I can't upload pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts