Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it really make a difference if you use a master cylinder and booster if it says for disc brakes, on drum brakes?

·
Registered
657 Posts
In stock configuration for the Mustang, and Fairlane, there is no such thing as a Disc Brake, Booster, or a Drum Brake booster, all are the same for the particular year. In other words a booster is a booster.

The differences in the master is the bore. The Drum masters have a smaller bore (Measured in 32's), the Disc a tiny bit bigger. In General Drum 7/8 "---Disc braKe 15/16-1" NO Larger than a 1".

Disc brake masters will have the rear bowl bigger for fluid volume, the front bowl smaller. Drum brake masters have same size bowls.

Rear bowl of either master (Disc or Drum), is Front brakes

Disc brake master will have no residual valve built in, Drum brake will have 10# residuals in both ports.

Hope this helps.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by residuals?
Does it have any affect on the feel of the pedal?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Residual means remaining--Kinda.

The residual "Pressure" left in the line. The residual valve is nothing more than a rubber plug and spring that shuts off the returning flow of brake fluid into the master.

Sure, pedal response will be firmer with residuals.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the education.
Now maybe you can help me some more.
We converted my 67 to power brakes and found out you have to change the pedal too to get a good feel but i would like to feel the brakes sooner when I aply them. Some times I think the pedal is going to the floor when I put on the brakes.
They are touchy but work ok.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Take it to a good Vintage Mustang Shop who will help fit your Classic.

Do this before you kill yourself, or a\others.

Brakes are not something to guess if they are going to work.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts