Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 70 stang i was taking the 2 bolts out to put a shim in to drop the power cylinder so it would give more clearance for the header and when i started to loosen the bolts it feels like the nut inside came loose. i can't tighten it or loosen it so was thinkin i'd have to drill a little hole near each nut so i can get a screw driver in there to hold it from spinning. is there any access i'm missing? this really sucks hehe i guess i could take the big nut off the side of the cylinder bracket and try to and get something wedged in there? argh this sucks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe i had no idea what it was called either but thats what they call it in the parts books. its the thing that looks like the cylinder off a screen door. i guess u put the lowering lowering bracket on the end to clear headers. i think i'm gonna put a couple pieces of plate in between the bracket and the frame and mig them in since it only has to go a 1/4 inch or so. the nuts are kinda popped into the frame and i guess from what someone told me on fomoco.com its kinda common for them to spin arrggghhh. what a pain i shoulda just tried some normal exhaust manifolds i have, like my dad said :sterb: hehe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not sure it has the accordian liek boot on it. i'm just grinding the welds down on the plates i'm gonnna put in betweend the bracket and frame. i can't get the nut off the end of the cylinder. used my impact and no go, jeeze what a mess lol. i'd rather jsut get the drop bracket and forget about it if the darn thing would come off lol.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the bracket off using the pry and grind method hehe thanks. i added a couple little plates under the braket to clear the cheapy headers i have and am gonna get the real drop bracket at the end of the month at a swap meet. i was thinkin on jsut welding the bracket to the frame so i didn't hafta worry about the bolts on the new one? the car only goes in and out of the garage right now so i'm hopin the tacks will hold. i still have no power steering it kicked in a couple times when i was moving it. i thought maybe rubbing on the header was causing the lack of power steering. the car has sat since the 80's without an engine mostly in a garage or tarped up so i thought the steering might not be lubricated. thanks for the help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.