180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i flush my power steering out becuz yhe fluid is black

R

·
0 Posts
How do i flush my power steering out becuz yhe fluid is black
Step 1
Put your car in park and turn off the engine.
Step 2
Open your car's hood. Secure it in place so you can work beneath it.
Step 3
Remove the filter from the top of your power steering system. For the exact location of your car's power steering filter, you'll need to consult your owner's manual.
Step 4
Detach the overflow tank from the radiator. This will make it easier for you to reach the power steering reservoir. Keep the tank handy, as you'll be replacing it soon.
Step 5
Disconnect the reservoir's hose. It should be located on the bottom of the reservoir. The hose can be tough to remove, so make sure you have plenty of patience.
Step 6
Replace the reservoir's hose with another hose. It should lead to an empty container. You'll use this container to store the old power steering fluid as it leaves the reservoir
Step 7
Lift the front end of your car off the ground by using a car jack.
Step 8
Add new power steering fluid to the reservoir. As you add the new lubricant, it will force the old lubricant into the tube you've connected to the bottom of the reservoir.
Step 9
Climb into the drivers seat and rack your steering wheel back and forth. The wheel should be locked in place, allowing only a slight range of mobility. This will help the extra lubricant within the power steering system to drain.
Step 10
Watch the empty container. It should fill with old lubricant. Once the old lubricant has been flushed and you see clean fluid replacing it, you've finished the hard part.
Step 11
Disconnect your hose and move the container.
Step 12
Replace the original reservoir hose.
Step 13
Pour new, clean power steering fluid into the reservoir.
Step 14
Rack your steering wheel a few more times to squeeze out air that might be trapped in the lines.
Step 15
Replace the filter and overflow tank and close your hood.

Step 16 Purchase Chilton and/or Haynes repair manual

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Black? After changing the fluid, be aware of any noises, or any odd feel to the steering. Hopefully the rack isn't worn out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.