Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am restoring a 67 coupe, 289 with AC and PS.
I got the engine runnng this week and it runs smooth after the fine tuning.
But, the powersteering is not working.(did not work when I bought it)

The pump is connected an turns as it should. All lines are well connected, there are no leaks.
What should I check first?
I thought I might disconnect the fluid lines first, start up the car and check if fluid comes out, so I know that the pump is ok. But what then?
Thx for any hints.

Eric,

Antwerp, Belgium

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
You could remove the belt and just turn the pump pulley by hand and see fluid come out of the return line (hose with clamp). If you start it with the line off you are in for a big mess, the psi it comes out at will spray it everywhere.
There are 2 pieces under the car that may be culprit if it's not giving any steering assistance when the car is running > the control valve may be stuck or the power cylinder (ram).

This is the best site I have found for PS information, troubleshooting, rebuild info. etc.
http://www.stangerssite.com/
start reading there.
Randy rebuilt all of my PS parts to better than new in function and appearance but can take 6mos. to do it, he is old school and a 1 man operation just so you know. His site has lots of good info. though.
Jon

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.
Great site you mentioned. I will take it step by step. I 'm quit a handy guy. I already rebuilt a RAM cilinder already before.
I'll start off with the pump first and then we'll see. No hurry here, but would be nice if I can get it working again.

grtz

Eric

1 - 3 of 3 Posts