Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Ford Parklane with 94-95 FE 302
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the stock pump pressure is 1000-1300. I only need 600.

The Chevy pumps have a washer set up to lower pressure.

Does anyone have an idea about how to lower pump pressure in a Ford pump?

jwawhite at Verizon dot net

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the stock pump pressure is 1000-1300. I only need 600.

The Chevy pumps have a washer set up to lower pressure.

Does anyone have an idea about how to lower pump pressure in a Ford pump?

jwawhite at Verizon dot net
Power Steering pump pressure is determined by the setting of the relief valve, which bypasses all fluid not used by the steering system to the pump reservoir. Most relief valve settings are non-adjustable, but may be changed by interchanging relief valve springs of greater or weaker tension.

Lowering the pressure would simply involve removing the existing pressure relief valve spring and substituting a weaker one. Some valves are accessible from the outside of the pump. Others are built-in, like the relief valve on an engine oil pump.

·
Registered
1956 Ford Parklane with 94-95 FE 302
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I own a 1956 Ford 2 Door Parklane Wagon. It's all stock except for a 94-95 5.0 FE Mustang driveline. The transmission is a 4 speed OD automatic.
The 94-95 pump is putting out to much pressure for the stock components, the Control Valve and the Ram.
I'll try and find a diagram of the pump as to the location of the relief valve. Suggestions as to where the spring(s) can be bought?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are using the pump with the plastic reservoir, the relief is under the large hex nut the pressure line screws into.
That nut/fitting also helps hold the reservoir on. Try shortening the spring. Trial and error.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts