Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My powersteering hose melted because of the headers and I read here that more people are having the same issue.
Some people actually buying a few new ones a year.
So at the risk of sounding stupid, why not go underneath with the hose?
I was lying underneath my car just now to put the new one in and the hose can go comfortably underneath next to the brake-line as far as I can see, headers not anywhere in sight. :scratchchin

·
Registered
539 Posts
I assume you would have to worry about the power steering line getting rock hits or anything else that might cause a hole. But I'm just guessing I haven't looked. If it is in no danger of taking a hit.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
have you thought of putting some heat wrap around the line or headers or both?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Keep in mind that the hoses move as you turn the wheel, they don't stay stationary. The complete control valve moves back and forth with the center link as you steer and in turn the power steering hoses that connect to the pump move back and forth and at times will be close or even against the exhaust if not routed correctly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ofcourse the heat wrap seems the right thing to do, just something I was wondering about.
Why is the hose above next to the engine, when "everything else" runs underneath?
The brake-line could be subjected to rockhits too, as are some other things like the metal bended connections at the end of the hose going into the control valve, (don't know what they are called in English) wich are far more breakable, the rubber it self doesn't have many problems with rocks hitting it.
Someone here said that having a pipe like exhaust metal, cutting that, bending it around the hose and than welding it would fix it to.
Sound like the least attractive job to do tough. :D
I just thought that having the hose underneath would maybe save everyone the work......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah true Jay H, that's the only thing I'm not sure about, but I'm sure as hell am going to try tomorrow.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well keep us posted on how it works out!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I incountered a nother problem as you can see on a new post but I still think it will work.
Funny thing is that I read that Ford put the hose underneath from '70 or '71 so I guess it wasn't that supid, I'll keep you posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.