Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the K&N 63 Series Aircharger a couple of weeks ago. The installation directions said TO INSTALL the honeycomb filter (pre catalytic) so I removed it carefully from the stock factory and placed in the K&N. Now I noticed that Alternative Auto Performance http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/05mustang_tune.html suggests to remove it.

So now I am confused --- in or out? Does it void warranty if removed? I will be getting my SCT x-cal tomorrow so I want my Mustang to really name that tune ---- Thanks!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
It is a Emission control device and will fail if not inserted into the intake pipe. Others I have spoken with that have removed say they can smell gasoline really strong when idling or at WOT when removed.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
RedFire_Dave said:
I installed the K&N 63 Series Aircharger a couple of weeks ago. The installation directions said TO INSTALL the honeycomb filter (pre catalytic) so I removed it carefully from the stock factory and placed in the K&N. Now I noticed that Alternative Auto Performance http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/05mustang_tune.html suggests to remove it.

So now I am confused --- in or out? Does it void warranty if removed? I will be getting my SCT x-cal tomorrow so I want my Mustang to really name that tune ---- Thanks!!!
My .02 Euro Cents... Leave it out and tune for it! Good for up to 5 HPs!

Emissions will be fine, have heard of no probs! It was put in while Ford were fiching with the EPA and have later been removed, from cars late 05 April and fwd...

I have not heard about a fuel smell before...?? It's way out there where there is only air... cannot imagine why / how that would lead to a fuel smell...?? The fuel system, mixing point is very secluded... :?: Mine is out (and tuned for) with no probs or smell!

·
Registered
622 Posts
K&N air charger system installed. took honeycomb filter out. no tune. no problems thus far (3 weeks). 2/10s quicker at the 1/4 mile (might be an aberration as I'm not very consistent). Adds a bit of sound I think, hard to tell without a before/after measure.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My 05 GT didn't come with the device. I installed the K&N several months ago without a tune and all has been fine. Getting Xcal today and tuning. :eyepoppin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts