Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 302 rebuilt, and I just set the timing to. While I worked on the car I noticed that car car was running to rich on fuel so i adjusted it. I ran it and it ran smooth without any hesitation, and sounded to smooth. I turned of the car and and tunred off normally, for the next 4 times it did. But later on the car started to pre-ignite. Once i turned off the car it, the engine continued to turn and shut off. I dont know what else to look into, and was wondering if anyone has found a way to find or fix the problem. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dieseling

HI! :waveydne' here.
Do you mean it was "dieseling?" Usually referred when a motor keeps trying to run after the ignition has been switched off. Kind of struggles to run, making all kinds of weird noises until it finally ceases to run. I think combination of a too fast an idle with maybe a little too much advanced timing. That's all I remember from the olden days :bigthumbsup.
dne'

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah sorry wrong term I used, dieseling is what i meant. I went ahead and place the car in 6 degrees for the timing, what was said from the Chilton manual. Just dont know how to adjust the fast idle?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup found the idle screw on the carb, I just dont know at what to set it to, is there a way to find the correct adjustment? I have a holley street avenger, if that helps.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
if you have a tachometer, set rpms to 600-650. if not come down with rpms a little to stop problem. no set amount, keep trying it. :bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts