Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new proud owner of a 02 GT,

Now that I have had it for 2 months it seems as if it is slower to me (maybe i have just got used to the power?)

I plan on putting a blower on it within the year(or once i convince my wife to let me), not looking to make more than 400rwhp

as a result i will be keeping the engine stock for now, what other basic things should i do to the car to prepair for the supercharger?
I am most likely going with a Vortech V-1 S-Trim kit. Now, I dont want to buy and put anything on that I will have to just replace down the road so what are some basic boltons that i can install in preporation for this?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is gears and a short shifter, i believe the Kit i am looking at comes with a KAI so it would be pointless to buy one now.

For gears i am going 3.73's (from what i read these are great with blower)

someone mentioned upgrading my exhaust, but i hear its not really worth it unless you want the noise or a more beefy sound? this true? looking for performance not sound.

I use the car as a mild daily driver about 50 miles or so a week and dont intend on takeing it to the track more than 1 or 2 times a year, for some fun, most of my racing is done from light to light, or highway honking. nothing serious. (love when the rice burners want to play :nono:)

with that said, can anyone give any suggestions for boltons, other than gear and shifter that would be good for me to install in preperation for my supercharger?

all said and done i will be happy running the 1/4 in 12's or so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With your goals in mind. Other than gears, save your money for the supercharger. You can easily make 400rwhp on a completely stock engine. All the bolt-ons can/will cost just as much as a supercharger, with very little gain for the money.

Besides, you can always add the bolt-ons later. They will be of much more benefit with the supercharger in place. The stock stuff isn't that restrictive to a stock motor. The stock intake/exhaust are much more of a choking point once you're making significantly more power. IE - heads/cams, blower, turbo or nitrous.

My first four mods were as follows; Shifter, gears, nitrous and drag radials. I added all the rest as I went along.

Also, buy all the bolt-on stuff used if you can. There is no sense in paying full price for pullies, shifter, CAI, exhaust, etc. It's pretty basic stuff (not really breakable) and guys are constantly changing up their combos.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
if you are going with a centrifugal setup (vortech procharger paxton etc) then you can and should upgrade your throttle body and plenum. 75mm is a pretty good size for a superchargerd car. i got a 78mm though and love it. also, i would agree on doing some work on the exhaust the 4 cats on our cars really make it hard for a supercharged car to breath. if money is no limit then obviously look into some longtube headers, shorty off road mid pipe, and catback. if money is limited then just look into getting a mid pipe and maybe catback (if you can afford it). now if emissions is going to be a problem then you might want to consider a catted mid pipe, or you could always get an off road mid pipe and just swap them out when inspection rolls around.

take a look at my profile, i have almost every bolt on to accomidate for my supercharger.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like the idea that everyone is putting out there...but also you need to remember that your adding something that is going to put a lot of stress on your cars tranny. so clutch upgrade is what I did. but respectively you do want your car to breathe a lot better but you don't want it falling apart as well from the added stress.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I say go for the gears and go ahead and do exhaust. Performance wise you will notice little gains but will sound great, however after the blower is installed the exhaust will help you out a great deal with performance by helping it breath and open up. Without exhaust work with a blower, you could lose up to 15-20hp.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
For sure go with a midpipe Catback setup, take the stock stuff off! If you don't do upgrades to the fuel system you should at least datalog your fuel pump duty cycle to see how if your close to it's MAX percentage! If so go with a Kenne Belle BAP!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
TB/Plenum, midpipe/catback,suspension, brakes and tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.