Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at doing a little mini project this weekend, and I'm considering paint matching my mirrors. When I paint matched my sideskirts, I didn't worry about sanding down the bumps or anything, but on the mirrors, I want them to be glossy.

I have some minor experience in sanding for body work, but I'm a little nervous about the plastic. Should I sand it down, then sand it with fine grit and get it as smooth as possible, then go on to primer? Or should bondo be a word in my vocabulary for this project? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I've seen those before, but I think I'm looking for a completely painted unit. I appreciate the link though!
Actually they look quite nice with the painted and contrast of black with the rest of the car, IMO :yup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Easiest way is to scuff them with a 600 grit scotch brite pad, clean them with solvent, spray them with adhesion promoter then 3 good coats of primer, sand smooth and then seal and paint.
It is a lot easier to sand the primer smooth than the plastic and that is how I did the rear window surround on my F150

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't use bondo, and don't go crazy sanding!

I've painted a bunch of interior and underhood pieces on my car which are the same bumpy surface, the key is to paint them twice.

The first time you will be able to see the texture through the paint, but after you prep it and paint it again, it will be smoother than the body! Don't forget to use a good clear!

let me know if you need anymore info or pictures of my ex-textured now painted pieces.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts