Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about with a future motor change coming for my 65 mustang, it would be wise to get a 9 inch rear over the 8 i have.

I found a guy less then 10 mins away selling 9" / 31 spline / 3.50 posi out of a 68 mustang gt, hes asking 450$.

First, would this even fit my 65?
And is this a reasonable price? or should i talk to him and knock it down.

Last few details, I have a 260 V8 in my car now, I'm going to crate the old engine and keep it to return the car to original.
Putting in a 5.0 HO/roller motor, with the upgrade I feel its needed to go from open rear to limitedslip/posi and to 9 inch for durability.

Open to suggestions, as this swap wont happen till early 2012.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ditto what cindys_sn95 said. The 8 inch rears were 57.25 inches drum to drum.. the 9 inch rears are 59.25 inches. And the 8 inch rears are sturdy up to 400+ hp :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
324 Posts
That would be a horrible choice for your car. But I need that for my 67 fastback. Whats the guys name and phone number that has it lol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Another vote for the 8 inch. Get a new center chunk with Trac Lok or "Posi" and the gears you want. Cost will be from 500 to 800.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

·
Registered
593 Posts
66 restomod--- hate to jump in on anothers thread, but do you have any good leads on a "posi" center for the $500 to $800? That is my next mod on the 66, and the best I can find is in the low $1000. Sorry to interrupt, thanks.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Price has gone up from the guy that did mine. It is now 850.
FORD MUSTANG 8 " EIGHT INCH REAR TRAC-LOC POSI 550hp 9 | eBay

Ebay has some others but I have no recommendation on them:

FORD 8 INCH MUSTANG FALCON POSI REAREND CENTER SECTION | eBay (this one may be a spool and not a trac lok)

FORD 8 INCH POSI -TRACK W/NEW GEARS MUSTANG/MAVERICK - eBay (item 300562345936 end time Jun-05-11 17:44:16 PDT)

FORD MUSTANG 8 EIGHT INCH GEAR TRAC LOC POSI FORD 9 | eBay

Trick with ebay is to be patient and not get into a bid war with someone else. Sometimes contacting the seller helps for a Buy Now price

I tried to find a local shop to rebuild mine but was quoted "about" 1000 to set it up.

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll go with the, if it isnt broke yet, dont fix it approach, but i'll look into the switch to tracklock/limited slip or w/e

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi guys,

If I get a new third member ready to bolt in, can i just take my original one out (8 inch, 2.80 gears, open diff) and bolt this one in? Or do I need to get new axles as well? They are original axles from my 8 inch rear and I'm going to be beefing the engine up to around 300hp

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks SO much, 66 restomod. I knew those were on e-bay, as I had seen them in the past. Due to, I guess, my old man computer skills I couldn't find them no matter what search words or criteria I used. Will be ordering one of them this week. I'm thinking 3.80 gears with my AOD. What did you use? Driving impressions?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts