Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything seems normal with my shifter and tranny, except when in 3rd and 4th. I can get a fair amount of play both back and forth and side to side. The side to side play has been there awhile(since install), I dunno if I'm just noticing now or what but theres back and forth play also.

Another thing, I can get the car outta 3rd pretty easy without the clutch and thats not the story with 1st and 2nd gear at all. Help.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
When all else fails remove “funny acting” part, inspect, re-install. That will take care of the problem 99% of the time.

Or

Install original part and see if problems persist.

It is unlikely you will be getting the magic answer you are looking for that does not involve you getting under the car.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Pull the cover off and make sure everything is tight with the shifter arm. Mine does it to a little. as for pulling it out of 3 &4 thats normal. Thats the spring loaded center for the shifter to be in.

I'm not going to tell you, you can actually do that in all gears.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Make sure that the single bolt holding the shifter to the transmission is still tight...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can easily get mine out of 3rd without the clutch.

yes I agree mine is especially easy to come out of third, whereas 1st and 2nd are way harder to get out. I'll be sure to check it all out again, but I am 99% sure everything is cool under there. I've just never had any back and forth slop in 3rd before...side to side has always been there.

Probably nothin to worry about(keepin fingers crossed):shiny:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
yes I agree mine is especially easy to come out of third, whereas 1st and 2nd are way harder to get out. I'll be sure to check it all out again, but I am 99% sure everything is cool under there. I've just never had any back and forth slop in 3rd before...side to side has always been there.

Probably nothin to worry about(keepin fingers crossed):shiny:
Mine moves side-to-side a little when in gear.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pulled the pro 5.0 off(for about the third or 4th time) and the stock shifter seems a bit smoother...not a lot, but some. I doubt if I'll put the pro 5.0 back on. The car is goin in to Ford Thursday for them to run some tests on:headscratch:.

If they void my warranty for some reason...how much do you think it would cost me to get the trans looked at and the synchronizers fixed or replaced??

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OH YA, and everything was mounted good and solid on the pro 5.0

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.