Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently bought a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS COLONY PARK. It has the same original 5.0 EFI engine as a Mustang 5.0. I would like to add a supercharger to get a better gas mileage and to add some more fun to this "old lady driven" love boat :)

My question is: Can I install any of the Mustang 5.0 superchargers or do is there a specific one made for Mercury?

I understand it is strictly a Mustang forum, but the heart of the car is the same, so you are the best folks to ask.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Best regards,

Colony Park

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
hrmm, if it is the exact same engine then you shouldnt have a problem. Mya want to check the placement of the accessories on the drive line before going any further. Shoot kscoyote a pm and see if he knows.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
colony park said:
Hello,

I have recently bought a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis GS COLONY PARK. It has the same original 5.0 EFI engine as a Mustang 5.0. I would like to add a supercharger to get a better gas mileage and to add some more fun to this "old lady driven" love boat :)

My question is: Can I install any of the Mustang 5.0 superchargers or do is there a specific one made for Mercury?

I understand it is strictly a Mustang forum, but the heart of the car is the same, so you are the best folks to ask.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Best regards,

Colony Park
It's not the same engine, internals are less stout, it has a different fuel map and cam. That said, I think it has the same brackets, though if I remember correctly, it has less space in front of the engine, and on top of the engine. Kenny Brown does a lot of work with the Marquis and the Crown Vic. You might give him a call. But it's been a loooong time since I've been under the hood of that car (my dad had one 10 years ago . . .)

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]Would a supercharger actually increase gas mileage?[/QUOTE]

depends on the gearing. theoretically, it's possible either in low boost situations or in high speed situations where the torque increase increases efficiency. but the more boost you run the more fuel you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help.

Thank you very much for your help lcurle and kscoyote. Greatly appreciated. I will contact Kenny Brown and see what I can do with this Merc.

I think it will make a great "sleeper", with a proper amount of work done to it. Wouldn't it be funny to put some suped up Honda to shame off a red light with an old station wagon? :)

Cheers,

Colony Park

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
no problem,

It happens all the time with our 86 volvo 740

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that. You cant beat the "Swedish engineering" :) I lived in Sweden for 4 years and seen some awesome "sleepers" there.

The best one would be the 1990 Mercedes E190. The most common mid-class sedan in Europe. Really nothing to brag about. Except for that one :) The old guy pulled up with that Mercedes E190 at illegal street race, signed up and on 1/4 mile literally humiliated all suped up 500-700 hp street/race cars that were present.

Turns out to be that Mercedes body (the outer shell) was the only remaining part from original car. It had V8 engine, bi-turbo and all kinds of bells and whisles on it.

It really tought everyone not to judge car by it's appearance :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.