Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Mustang GT Premium convertible with a Shaker 1000 system. Besides the well-documented CD skipping/jumping problem, I have a unique problem that may or may not be the Shaker.

Looking to see if anyone else has heard of this...

About a week ago, my Shaker 1000 started "resetting" itself. When this happens, it loses its place on the CD, the clock resets to 1200, and the system goes to 530 AM on the radio. When one presses the "CD" button, the message "Initializing" appears. All settings are lost such as the bass and treble settings as well as the speedvol setting. In other words, the Shaker "reboots" itself. While this appears to be a Shaker 1000 problem, something else occurs as well.

The message center, which I have set for 2-line display, resets to its default two-line display. No data is lost, just the setting. Before this problem showed up, I had the MPG on the top line and the odometer on the bottom line. When I started the car, it would always go to this display. When the system resets, it goes to a 2-line odometer display (the 2-line default).

Every time the Shaker 1000 reboots, the 2-line display goes to "default" However, sometimes the two-line display on the message center resets, but the Shaker is fine.

Since this is happening an average of twice a day, it has become a major nuisance.

Anyone got any ideas???? I'm sure if I take this to a dealer I will get a "could not duplcate". Sometimes things work for a couple of days, other times, the problem appears several time a day. While I haven't checked the battery, I have had no starting probelms or other problems that signify a weak battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like you have a short in the electrical system. The dealer should be able to detect this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Due to the overwhelming response (1), I thought I would follow up and let everyone know what was causing my problems...

It turns out the resets were caused by a loose negative terminal cable on the battery. When the dealer had the car on his showroom floor, he disconnected the negative terminal on the battery apparently to keep folks from running the battery down. When he reconnected the battery, he never properly tightened the cable. Yesterday, the whole car was dead (electrically) with no lights or starter, so I popped the hood, checked the battery connections and found a rather loose black cable. I am surprised the car ran as long as it did (6300 miles) without more difficulties.

Cable tightened, problems solved... after reviewing the fuse layout, I figured that the only common components between these two systems would be the battery, the battery cables and the main power distribution panel...I checked the power distribution panel under the hood throughly but only eyeballed the battery connections. Negative terminal cable looked tight at first glance, but wasn't...live and learn.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
GOOD GOING! It's nice when you find a fix like that. My dealer wasn't sure what "my color" was the night I p/u my car! My 13 year old jumped in and knew how to do it from a page I printed out from this forum somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts