Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing long tube headers and having trouble lifting the engine.

I've loosened the nuts on the isolator studs in the engine bay (actually removed the driver's side nut) and then I tried to lift the motor my using a floor jack and a block of wood under the bell housing. The whole front end of the car is lifting in stead of just the engine/transmission. From what I see, the engine/transmission is only supported by the two motor mounts and the transmission bracket. What else am I missing?

Thans for any help!

·
Super Moderator
7,580 Posts
Disconnect the steering shaft?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I already had it disconnected.

·
Super Moderator
7,580 Posts
I believe to get the clearance it requires slightly raising and supporting the engine to disconnect the mounts and removing the brackets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, I need to lift the engine for clearance. But that's what I'm having trouble with; when I jack up on the bell housing the entire car is lifting, not the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,580 Posts
I'm stumped. Sounds like you did what is needed to do that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still stumped too!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I also need to remove the two bolts that hold the isolator to the frame rail?

·
Super Moderator
7,580 Posts
Yes. I had to do that on my 2012.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Do I also need to remove the two bolts that hold the isolator to the frame rail?
No you should not have to remove the 2 bolts attaching the mount to the frame of the car.

My car will also raise up a little when jacking the motor with nut removed from motor mount on one side. I usually only jack one side at a time. But if you keep jacking you will be able to lift the motor and the attached aluminum engine mount brackets off the stock rubber motor mount. On the driver side you won't be able to remove the motor mount without removing the aluminum engine mount bracket if you are upgrading to motor mounts like Steeda adjustable poly motor mounts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removing the two bolts that hold the isolator to the K-member was the only thing that worked for jacking up the engine. It still makes no sense though; with the nut removed from the stud the engine should have went right up. I got all the engine mount stuff down out of the way. Thanks for all the help.

Now I just need to figure out how to unclip the from O2 sensors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts