Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mustang has been having an issue lately. There is an odd rattle during low range acceleration. At first i thought the problem was my after market cold air intake but after checking it over and over and trying the stock air box assembly the rattle is still there. I also have an after market exhaust which i am beginning to think may have the problem but it was professionally installed. the rattle only happens in low range acceleration when the engine is warm, usually at low speeds and it never happens when the car is in park no matter what the RPMs are at. I am having no luck locating the rattle so any advice will help. :headscratch:

·
Registered
174 Posts
i would put your car on a lift and check all the exhaust bolts...what type of mufflers do you have?ive heard of the baffels in the muffler coming unwelded an make a rattling sound

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're syntec mufflers

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I have a rattle in my car. Its something on my driver side door... I believe it is one of those panels by the window switches. I can't figure out what to do, but I've heard lots of people have had the problem, it could be yours too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My car's dash rattles when it's cold. After it warms up, the rattle goes away. I think this is an inhert problem with other Mustangs beacuse this forum is full of similar complaints. I think the reason for the rattles has to do with Ford quality. My car, like most cars today, has a lot of cheap plastic. But utimately, I remember not to complain too much. My car cost only $26K new. The rattles usually go away when the car costs $50K and more. And that doesn't always hold true either. LOL.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
My Mustang has been having an issue lately. There is an odd rattle during low range acceleration. At first i thought the problem was my after market cold air intake but after checking it over and over and trying the stock air box assembly the rattle is still there. I also have an after market exhaust which i am beginning to think may have the problem but it was professionally installed. the rattle only happens in low range acceleration when the engine is warm, usually at low speeds and it never happens when the car is in park no matter what the RPMs are at. I am having no luck locating the rattle so any advice will help. :headscratch:
How much of the exhaust has been changed?

·
Registered
566 Posts
when i put dual exhaust on my car the the drivers side exhaust might be hitting the spare tire housing underneath i had a local shop instal my dual exhaust

·
Registered
275 Posts
my window switches on the driver side door rattle, and apparently its something that is quite popular...ford needs to check it out. who knows what they would do about it.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
maybe check your wheel wells. those plastic push pins holding it in there can get loose. i was missing a couple and i could peck at the inner well and it made all kinds of noise. just a idea.

i also have a rattle, its the bottom plastic pc in the cubby hole between the spedo and tach, but its not too bad and if i just touch it it will stop. :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
my window switches on the driver side door rattle, and apparently its something that is quite popular...ford needs to check it out. who knows what they would do about it.
pull the door arm rest off (with swithches and all) and pull the switch from its mount. Install some double sided 3m foam tape in front and back of the switch between the switch and the arm rest it attaches to. I used 3 pieces layered just to be sure, it then becomes a "baffle" if you will. I only noticed it when the bass in the sterio was up to high, but this fix took care of it. Re-install it and your are gold. It took me about 10 minutes on my lunch break to do it. Worth a try.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Can you quantify the sound, I mean, what does it sound like.... metal banging metal? plastic on metal? does it seem to be in the front of the car? the back? Try putting the car in gear with the e brake pulled HARD, and run the rpm's up a little and see if you can re-produce it under load.
I had problems with my exhuast, and it turned out to be a hangar banging against the rear frame of the car. Check all of your hangars while under load (have someone run it up to like 1000 rpm with the e-brake and some wheele chocks, while you find the source.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

I started looking my car over using the advice left on this forum and found some damage in the front driver side wheel well (I believe it was left by the previous owner, I take better care of my car than myself). After testing it using the method billthecougnut suggested i found it too be the source of the rattle. I'm hoping to find a way to repair it without having to buy new parts.

Thank you for all the help!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
pull the door arm rest off (with swithches and all) and pull the switch from its mount. Install some double sided 3m foam tape in front and back of the switch between the switch and the arm rest it attaches to. I used 3 pieces layered just to be sure, it then becomes a "baffle" if you will. I only noticed it when the bass in the sterio was up to high, but this fix took care of it. Re-install it and your are gold. It took me about 10 minutes on my lunch break to do it. Worth a try.
sounds like a plan! ill try it tomorrow, appreciate the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.