Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my 2003 Mustang in Reverse, the engine just revs if i press on the gas. After several seconds, almost a minute, it finally starts to back up. When it finally does back up it is jerky for the first bit then smoothes out. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this and how i could fix it?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
When I put my 2003 Mustang in Reverse, the engine just revs if i press on the gas. After several seconds, almost a minute, it finally starts to back up. When it finally does back up it is jerky for the first bit then smoothes out. Can anyone tell me why it is doing this and how i could fix it?
IT's either you're low on fluid, or your shifter is out of alignment. Do you always have the button all the way in when you shift it?

You don't manually shift it do you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not do this when the engine and tranny are cold. fluid level was low but still the problem occurs since. I always press the button when shifting. Any other suggestions as to what may be wrong?

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site!,how does the fluid look?does it do this in drive or just reverse?

·
Registered
824 Posts
IT's either you're low on fluid, or your shifter is out of alignment. Do you always have the button all the way in when you shift it?

You don't manually shift it do you?
what do you mean his shifter is out of alignment? how would that be fixed?

and how bad is it to manually shift your auto? there is a lot of controversy about this on other forums..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fluid looks to be full now. It only does it in reverse, and only after having been driven for a bit. From a cold start it doesnt do it at all. Could it be a problem with the rearend and not the trans? Started happening shortly after winter when i had to rock out of some deep snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.