Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having serious issues hooking. I have 17x9 10th anniversary cobra wheels in the back with handcook 275/40/17 tires and I spin way too much on launch. Does anyone have a good 17 inch drag radial they would recommend? Don't want to break the bank but I need something better.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II.

You might squeeze a 295 on a 9 inch wheel, the minimum wheel recommended is a 9.5 incher. A 315 would force you up to an 11 inch wheel.

Hancook has about as much grip as a greasy turkey, ditch those things and get some real rubber.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The MT are better with exception to hoosier's but the Toyo's last longer on the street and cost WAY less. Toyos are not far behind mt for hooking in cars under 450 hp

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think im leaning towards the MT. I had a set of et streets on my old wheels and they were good. Yes, the handcooks suck haha. But I got a good deal on them. Only $200 for brand new tires from a buddy that bought the wrong size for his car :bigthumbsup

Has anyone used nitto? any good?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Has anyone used nitto? any good?
dont waste your time or money even wondering about those..great for the street and rain..but horrible at the track

they're basically a sticky street tire and the compound is way too stiff to hook at the track

and the claim of the toyo's being comparable to MT's on the track still has yet to be proven..at least to me anyway

funny though,heres a car with way over 450hp on MT drag radials

car was built by my local tuner,and is the current NMCA world record holder for fastest street legal car on drag radials

i never get tired of watching these,camaro or not..keep an eye on the 2nd pass in the first vid

YouTube - NMCA WORLD RECORD HOLDER FRANK SOLDRIDGE AND VINNY FIORE'S F3 PROCHARGED CAMARO
YouTube - Vinny's F3 Procharged Camaro Test and Tune at Numedia dragway Sunday Oct 4th 2009 Franks Wheelie

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
:bowingsmilies Holy Moly that Camaro is HOT!

That 2nd vid is NUTS!! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
that was shot at my local track
the first vid is in florida..he lifted the front wheels 2ft off the ground after the 1/8th mile lol

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I dont understand why anyone would worry so much about the track. BUY SLICKS if your worried about the track. And your comparing apples to oranges. No one in this post is running over 450 hp except Reg. Im not disagreeing about the MT i know they are superior but why would you spend the $? Buy a decent set of dr's for the street, then buy another set of 15" wheels and slicks for the track. In the long run it equals out the same and you run better at the track.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I dont understand why anyone would worry so much about the track. BUY SLICKS if your worried about the track. And your comparing apples to oranges. No one in this post is running over 450 hp except Reg. Im not disagreeing about the MT i know they are superior but why would you spend the $? Buy a decent set of dr's for the street, then buy another set of 15" wheels and slicks for the track. In the long run it equals out the same and you run better at the track.
can't argue with that.

That is really the best way to go.

If, however, you want a tire that is streetable and will hook at the track, get the MT. If you're gonna run 2 pairs of tires, get MT slicks for the track and Nittos or Toyos for the road.

Ive got 235/60/15 MT ET Street Radials on mine and they never let go of the pavement on the street. Haven't hit the track with them yet.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
I dont understand why anyone would worry so much about the track. BUY SLICKS if your worried about the track.
it really depends on what you do with your car..when i got my drag radials,i bought them purposely for the track,not the street..i did drive them on the street,but to the track and back and thats basically it..

now i have ET streets(bias ply)..i change them at the track

i need to have a DOT tire to run in the classes i race in,no slicks allowed

so that reasoning doesnt work for everyone

ask reggie why he wants to slap a set of DR's on this year..

and i want that camaro as well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.