Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have this 07 shelby GT 500 and just a few hours ago i tried starting it up for the first time in a few months (give or take 4 to 5 months). So i tried starting it and i get a crank for 2 seconds then i get a loud ticking noise that continues if i try and turn the key. I know the battery is holding a charge because of all the lights on the car, however after i try and turn the key the battery dies. About a year ago i had a problem like this an i just replaced the battery however i have already charged and replaced the battery on the car. Im not sure what the problem is, i haven't made any modifications to the car so its factory. If you guys think of anything either make a post or if you could email me at

[email protected] thanks for the help.

·
Registered
912 Posts
check connections, not aying you did something wrong, it has happened to me, granted i have a 93, but i replaced the starter solenoid and positive wire then couldent get it to start, i had a bad ground, also if its been sitting it cant hurt to just check them what your describing sounds like a loose cable, or low voltage, try starting it with the battery charger on the car.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You can have enough power for lights and still not enough to start it. Almost certain the battery is low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks im going to finish up my dinner and see if i cant tinker with it a bit longer, ill check the cables and charge up the car again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Replace the battery. Also, have the alternator checked.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had this problem too and it's the battery. I just put a battery tender on it and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help everyone, i charged the battery again over night and it fired right up, now all i have to do is drive it some and the tire moniotor will kick back in. However my only other issue now is that the windows wont automatically go back up that last 2 inches after you close the door...

·
Registered
512 Posts
its still under warranty right?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
It's the battery. Put a battery tender on it and it will solve the problem.
I charged the battery again over night and it fired right up. My only other issue now is that the windows won't automatically go back up that last 2 inches after you close the door.
If you let the car sit for months it will ruin the battery. It may have enough residual charge to light the accesories and it may hold a fresh re-charge well enough to start the car up, but it won't continue to hold the charge for long. Like Osiris said, a battery tender is ideal for months of inactivity. And when the battery is run down, the electric windows need to be recalibrated for that automatic down/up feature to work when opening and closing the doors. There is a procedure for recalibrating that, and it has been posted here on AFM more than once before. I don't happen to remember it exactly because I've never needed it (something about lowering the window completely and holding the window burtton down for a frew more seconds and then raising the window completely and holding the window button up for a few extra seconds) but you could do a "search" for it or maybe someone else will re-post the procedure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i re-calibrated it today, turned out you were right. You have to do that three times in a row before it sets itself back to normal. Everything is in working order except the CD player, i cant figure that out, i haven't put a CD in it but I can hear it moving about on the insides and then an message pops up on the screen CD ERROR. Im going to get it serviced next tuesday, and maybe they can figure it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The others are correct about the battery tender. In winter time with the alarm set the battery will only hold 2-3 weeks.

The battery tender has an adapter you can install on the car and leave it on. You can then connect your battery tender for months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery Problem

I have a 2007 gt500 and i have the same problem. i checked the battery and it's failing to hold a charge. I will be replacing the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts