Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't installed the gears yet but am having second thoughts. I keep hearing about bouncing the motor off the rev limiter before it will shift to 2nd. Anyone else heard about this? Will lowering the shift point in the tune help? I just don't want to screw anything up before I get the nitrous next spring. :kooky:

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Good topic , I would like to here about the same thing ,because I`m thinking about 4.10s next spring !

I do know that a tune will fix the shift points !

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just put 3.73's on mine, very glad I didn't go any steeper. I'm hitting almost 2500 at 70mph.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I dont see why the shifts would be at redline since changing the gears doesnt change your shift points.

·
Registered
554 Posts
4.10s on the automatic is the best thing I've ever done. I'm at 3k rpm at 80mph in overdrive.

Go ahead with your plans. You will need a programmer to get your speedometer corrected.

·
Registered
89 Posts
STONECOLD said:
I dont see why the shifts would be at redline since changing the gears doesnt change your shift points.
It's explained in more detail somewhere in the tech pages of www.tccoa.com. The short answer is, the stock shift points are programmed using a known rate of increase in RPMs. The rate of increase in RPMs is faster with taller gears and the time it takes to make the shift remains the same. So while your shift is happening, the RPMs shoot up higher than they normally would. Sometimes it actually hits the limiter.

It doesn't happen to everyone and it doesn't happen all the time. It was happening to my 2-3 once in a while. Get a handheld programmer with 4.10s. Fix the speedometer, and bump the WOT shift points down *if* they are hitting the limiter.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry Sergent said:
Just put 3.73's on mine, very glad I didn't go any steeper. I'm hitting almost 2500 at 70mph.
I'm sure the 3.73s really woke it up but I was under the impression that the 4.10s were better for an auto due to the fact that the gearing in the tranny isn't as steep as a manual. But under WOT, I've also been told that bouncing off the rev limiter ONLY fron 1st to 2nd can be a problem, I don't know just wondering. I've also decided to wait for the NOS next spring to get everything installed ( gotta save for X-MAS for the kids ) that way the tune can take care of everything at once...:happyhapp

·
Registered
15 Posts
WOT shift points are set by MPH. As long as your speedo is correct, itll shift just fine. Mine shifted just fine even when the speedo was off. No bouncing off the rev limiters for me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Storkdork said:
I'm sure the 3.73s really woke it up but I was under the impression that the 4.10s were better for an auto due to the fact that the gearing in the tranny isn't as steep as a manual. But under WOT, I've also been told that bouncing off the rev limiter ONLY fron 1st to 2nd can be a problem, I don't know just wondering. I've also decided to wait for the NOS next spring to get everything installed ( gotta save for X-MAS for the kids ) that way the tune can take care of everything at once...:happyhapp
I guess it really depends on what you want and how you drive. Personally I prefer to be in lower RPM's when I'm on a long trip or even working, 50-150 miles a day. Get your car up to 2500 RPM's and see if you want it to wind any higher for any length of time. If you're just zooming around town 4.10's would probably be great.:laughlitt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.