Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my stock clutch quadrant stripped out and I ordered another one from UPC. I received my parts which are the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant(three hook) and a v8 cable. I have installed the firewall adjuster and quadrant and am trying to use my stock cable. I can not get it to reach the quadrant. Is this because I am doing something wrong or do I need to try to find longer cable?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Cant use the stock cable. Must use custom adjustable cable. What engine do you have?? This will determine the correct cable. If you use the stock cable it must be long enough to hook the quadrant with the adjuster at min length. If the adjuster is at min and you cant hook the cable the cable is NG. Sometimes a stock cable can be used with a dogbone setup. But you need length and adjustibility as well. Good luck Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2.3 and its a dog bone. I couldn't use the 5.0 cable because it has a threaded end. Where would I come across a adjustable cable for a 2.3? The adjuster is at the min.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Well in an attempt to get the car going I filed out the dog-bone piece and stuck the 5.0 threaded end of the adjustable cable through it. The car does crank, I have not driven it yet. It seems like the clutch pedal is noticeably stiffer, and there is slack in the cable. Not sure if this is normal, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i did this exact same thing in my 91 2.3L mustang.. I ordered the steeda set up for a 5.0L and the end of the cable has a threaded end because the 5.0L's didn't run the dog bone set up..
I thought about doing it the way you had done it, and where the housing is mounted in the bracket on the fire wall, before the lower pivot, its on quite an angle to mount to where you have it set up right? like probably 25-30 degree's of an angle correct? hence the pivot, which is about 6" long, and pivoting in the middle-ish...

so under theory it would be roughly about 3"s higher than where the cable housing is?
your cable is stiff because its working on an angle at the end. plus, it won't last long like that..

What i had done, was take that little U bracket off the lower half of the pivot. and where that bolt that holds the U bracket on with the cauter pin, take it out. Now i had machine up a piece thats about 1 1/2" long, and its 1" square on the inside, and fits through that hole, and then drilled a new hole for the cauter pin. Then i drilled a hole just big enough in the 1" squared side, that the adjustable part of the clutch cable fits into!
make sure that it is snug fitting into the pivot on the bell housing, or it will cause unnecessary pressure on the fitting.
I will take pictures tomorrow to make more clear, or draw a quick one on paint in a second!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is how i temporarily fixed it.. now if you do this right, it shouldn't be to over abusive on that little bushing thats in there.. i'd imagine its not going to do very good over a LONG time, or abuse, but hasn't done me wrong yet!
That with the dog bone bolt set up, and your firewall adjustor, and now your lower cable adjustor.. you now have more adjustment than ever! ta da.. simple fix for that shituation..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I didn't run it quite the way your thinking I did sorry for not specifying. I should of taken pictures. I went out and adjusted it. I have drove it for 2 days now and it seems good. Haven't smoked the clutch off yet so that's a plus. It also is not binding up anywhere. After I adjusted on it and drove it the clutch does not seem to much firmer than before. Thanks again for all the useful information. :smilie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts