Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it has been a while since I have been on here but I am back for a bit. As a lot of you know I have a 2003 3.8L V6 with some performance mod and a lot of aesthetic mods. Well now it is time for the go.

Before anything, do NOT tell me to just get a V8 or try to change my mind from the Procharger, I want a self contained unit with proven results, so that rules out the Vortech due to the oil pan tap, and Paxton due to the lack of info for them on our cars.

On to the good stuff,

My car currently has a CAI(which is useless once I get to procharging), 4.10s (may get to the boost a bit too quick?), a GT 8.8 with trac-loc, 17x8 front rims, 17x9.5 rears. I have UPR V6 lowering springs, UPR single adjustable LCA, UPR Double Adjustable UCA, UPR CC plates, Eibach shocks and struts, stock MACH1 front and rear sway bars, modified stock 5.0 SN95 strut tower brace, full length subframes, a shift kit (J-mod), BAMA tune (SCT X3), divorced duals.

I also have a boost/vacuum gauge, and trans temp guage at the moment.

Before procharging I plan to throw on all of the supporting mods, let me know what you think about these, all of them are from American Muscle due to the discount.

90MM SCT BA-3000, 44# ACCEL injectors with plug adaptors, BBK 300LPH Fuel Pump, Mac longtubes and offroad H, BBK 65mm throttlebody, Aeroforce Interceptor with wideband 02 kit, aluminum driveshaft and lakewood driveshaft loop, and NGK TR6's.

Then I plan to get a stage II tuner kit (9-11 psi) with a 3C intercooler upgrade. I want to have Power By the Hour tune it (AKA a John Lund tune).

I plan to run the car like this for about 2 years, then get a stroked 4.3 from supersix built, with a blower cam, and forged internals, upgrade to a D1sc with 8 rib pullies, and push between 18-20# of boost.

I want to get about 300 HP to the wheels for now, then with the stroker I want about 400 to the wheels, and once I do the D1sc I want to get as close to 500 rwhp as I can.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Welcome back!

300 should be attainable with those goals, maybe even more rwhp (310-320). It may be difficult to hit the 400 mark, though. I know someone that had their whole engine done (forged everything, stroked, Stage 3 heads, etc, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, etc) with a Procharged setup and he's at about 375 RWHP and has hit a wall. Even Super Coupe guys have a hell of a time hitting the 400 rwhp mark.....and that's with things like bigger, better blowers, better heads, full bolt ons, 16-19 psi of boost, better camshaft, etc. 500 rwhp is going to be a massive challenge......it may be a better idea to do a custom turbo setup if that's your goal. Some guys have got 800-900 rwhp out of an SVO 4.5 V6 block, but as far as I know, those were turbo'd setups with crazy amounts of PSI.

After everything's forged, you could try running more PSI and see what you can get on the highest octane that you can run. You may want to lower compression even more than is suggested and boost the bejeezus out of the engine and see what it will take, but that will make the car more of an out and out race car.....cruisability will suffer. I'm not as familiar with a Procharged setup, so others may have better advice.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha thanks for the input. I got the 500 number from SSM when I talked to them. Tom was helping me to decide what kind of supercharger kit would be safe for my slightly tired engine and what I may need to get to my goals. I believe he said I could easily get over 500 at the crank with the 4.3 stocker they build, fully forged, boost cam, full port and polish job, and a DISC with 8 rib conversion and about 17-18 PSI. This would require a 60lb injector and the 3 core intercooler, which is why I am going to do the intercooler now. So realistically if the engine can actually handle 20+ psi as advertised, and with a good tune, getting to atleat 450 RWHP would be nice. The D1sc has a much higher CFM than the P1SC hence why the upgrade will be necessary, worst face I could go with an F1A, or one of the other F1x series blowers, but that would most likely be too much for the V6 no matter what, as it is a race blower, and would kill all streetability the car would have.

450-500RWHP is my goal at this time but honestly if I can get the car into the low 12s high 11s reliably, then I will be happy. If I can find a stockish termi and run it (and win) or even just keep up I will be elated. I think Tom at SSM also mentioned that when I do finally go with the 4.3 I am going to want to get a 3400 stall converter as that should help as well.

I plan to tune for 91/93 octane and when trying to juice the max performance also get a race fuel (106 octane or so) tune .

·
Registered
765 Posts
20 psi would create some serious power, yeah. That's a heavy duty setup. There's nothing like that immediate, on demand torque that a supercharger provides, and hearing that blower whine is pretty awesome, too.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha for real. I cant wait to get even 9 PSI and just enjoy the kick you in the seat of the pants

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
I hope to get a Procharger too, don't have a timeline on when, but someday..

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ah, to have a spare 5-10 grand kicking around! Much respect to anyone that takes on that type of build. I'd taken out my RRSP's this year ($2300) to get a whole bunch of things for both of my cars. I can't wait to get my upgraded SC things on, I just need to buy a Quarterhorse (tuning software) and a custom tune and bigger injectors. Between the car ($2000) and the $2000 of upgrades (double intercooler with electric fan, ported 94/95 style version 2 Eaton M90, ported plenum, 75mm tb, 76mm MAF, bigger injectors, smaller blower pulley, Quarterhorse/ tune), it should be running 260-280 rwhp and 340-350 ft lbs of torque with around 14-15 psi. For me, the toughest expense to justify is beefing up the internals on an engine, so in this case, I let Ford do it. :)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan keep us updated! Markstang I will keep everyone updated, especially you about the build so you can have another car to compare to as you plan and finally do the build!

I also think I will probably go with a big power upper, something like the SSM SSX3 with 75mm throttlebody when it is time for the D1SC!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Of course we all love our Mustangs and i'm not trying to dissuade anyone from upgrading theirs (I still am...evidenced by my recent threads here, but power gains for the money just are frustratingly low) and I hate to start sounding like the Reverend Super Coupe :)......but if you can afford a second car in supplement to the Mustang, pick up an SC. They're at an all time low in terms of prices, parts can still be found at the scrapper, a 94/95 SC blower can essentially be bolted on and ran with a smaller pulley with far less heat than the 1st version M90's (200-300 bucks), and it's pretty easy to massage for more power. 1st gear with the 315 ft/ lbs of torque is exhiliarating, and to say that few cars out there can take a 4000 lb car off the line with a V6 is a pretty cool thing to claim.

Once the parts donors and scrapyards start thinning out, the cars and parts will start to go up. But the trading market/ support is still there because there's a small but diehard base for 'em. Even still, the 89/90 XR7 Cougars had the same engine, so there's yet even more parts still floating around.

Bang for buck, it may be one of the best deals out there.....if you're into American V6 power. And the cool thing is that certain things like the coil pack are still compatible with the 99-00 3.8 Stangs, as well.

The other frame of mind is that once you're up to speed on the SC engines, you could always just do an SC engine swap onto your Mustang. The stock SC engine would be a low 14 second, maybe a 13.8-13.9 in our Mustangs, and a modified SC engine may even put it into the low 13's, high 12's. I'm strongly thinking of eventually doing that. 15 lbs of boost isn't too strenuous for those motors, and depending on how gutsy you are, you could likely run even more.

I get about 18.2 MPG with a 4000 lb car and a full tank of gas. That's another thing that makes these engines great......good fuel economy. The supercharger assists just enough with cruising to do it intelligently and then when you mash the gas, the power kicks in. The 5.0 in the T Birds of that era was a 9 something second 0-60, and the 3.8 supercharged was a 7.1. You're going to beat a stock and maybe even a mildly modified Fox body 5.0. Your only enemy, really, is traction.....if you're even mildly in a turn, the car will go violently sideways.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Have you not heard of the Vortech V3 self contained? They have been out for a few years now. Looks to be the same style used on the pushrod 5.0s. You shouldn't have a problem finding a used V3. Find a bracket and piece together a system, or buy a complete system and sell the V1 and find a used V3.

The BA-3000 is bigger than your end goal, the BA-2600 is better match. Both are too big for your first phase - they say 400 rwhp minimum. Just get a Lightning or Cobra MAF for now. They're cheap at only $100 TYD new or plenty of used ones cheap.

90MM LIGHTNING AIR METER

The throttle body probably will gain nothing at the 300 rwhp level. You're forcing air the air through it; it doesn't need to be as big as it would on a NA or PD setup. I'd save your money and wait till later on that.

Cobra 39# injectors I believe would meet your phase one goal. How the hell does the Procharger Stage II kit not need injectors or a fuel pump? Maybe it's a typo in the description?

If I can find a stockish termi and run it - Really? When was the last time you saw a Terminator alongside you on the road? Have you ever? Or were you talking about the track? Good luck finding a bone stock Termi that doesn't at least have a pulley and tune making mid to high 400s. If your goal for your build it to spite the guy in the faster car then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Ryan keep us updated! Markstang I will keep everyone updated, especially you about the build so you can have another car to compare to as you plan and finally do the build!

I also think I will probably go with a big power upper, something like the SSM SSX3 with 75mm throttlebody when it is time for the D1SC!
You should come on over to V6mustang.com and make a build thread, it's much more performance oriented, we have a few good builds going on. I think you'll be able to get a bunch more advice by people who have done exactly what you're planning.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
You should come on over to V6mustang.com and make a build thread, it's much more performance oriented, we have a few good builds going on. I think you'll be able to get a bunch more advice by people who have done exactly what you're planning.
Good call, I see over there is currently a used Vortech system and a used Procharger system FS.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Cobra 39# injectors I believe would meet your phase one goal. How the hell does the Procharger Stage II kit not need injectors or a fuel pump? Maybe it's a typo in the description?
It didn't even mention fuel system, they must have got it running so that it just BARELY works. They must be running the injectors at like 90% duty cycle. With the stage one procharger kit i can see using stock pump and injectors but 60% more power puts you at like 300 crank, Seifert was putting 240 to the wheels n/a and needed bigger injectors.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stage 2 kit advertises that you will want upgraded injectors, atleast from what I was told by procharger reps. For 94-98 V6 cars they give you an FMU and you need injectors, for 99-04 they supply a walbro 255lph if you get the non tuner kit, and then recommend a 39lb injector I believe.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Of course they want to sell you the part that they sell (the sct maf) so they can profit on the sale. Any sct tuner can tune to the LMAF. It's far more popular than the sct maf. You have all the stock Terminators and Lightnings using them plus a buttload more foxbody thru 04 cars using them. Hell, a sct handheld even has the LMAF pre-loaded in the user options.

They can probably get the car to run ok with BA3000 but I'm confused why they would recommend a maf spec'd for 400-800 rwhp when there is the BA2600 for 400-700 rwhp.

I was thinking of used cobra injectors. If new ones are in the budget then sure get new ones and you don't have to worry about the condition.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may have heard them wrong when talking about the MAF. I think they may have actually recommended the BA-2600 as you did. It does make a hell of a lot more sense. And as for parts, I really done want anything used in the fuel system just so I know it is all specced properly and does not have any weird wear, so I will be going new pump, new injectors, new maf.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts