Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 GT Vert is hibernating for the winter, it has been sitting for only 2 weeks and the battery is completely flat!!!
This is only the beginning of my problem....I backed it up into my garage with the driver side door 2" from the side of the garage. Now the million dollar question is...How do I get into the car? Remember, the battery is dead, driver side not accessible, no key entry on passenger side.

Remember, you promised not to laugh!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Jack it up

freeflubber said:
This is only the beginning of my problem....I backed it up into my garage with the driver side door 2" from the side of the garage. Now the million dollar question is...How do I get into the car? Remember, the battery is dead, driver side not accessible, no key entry on passenger side.

That's good :) And with convertible, you can't go through the trunk as the seats don't fold. If you can get to the positive battery cable, you could put the positive cable from a charger on it and the other end on the ground wire, wherever it attaches, or to the engine block. Then your keyless would work. If not, do you have a floor jack with wheels that you could move a few inches to budge the car? Turn the jack perpendicular to the car, jack it up just to clear the tires from the ground and gently push the car so that the jack rolls it away from the wall.

Or, maybe you can get under the car and see where the hood release cable goes and pull it to pop the hood and get the charger on the battery the old fashioned way :)

Anybody else got an easier way?

-David

·
Registered
502 Posts
This sounds like one of those questions they give you on an IQ test...

Will the trunk pop? If so, you could pull the infamous rip cord inside and crawl in through the back seat...(this is apparently a non-starter, per the previous comment posted as I was composing this one...)

Not sure how you were able to verify that the battery was completely dead if you couldn't get inside the vehicle...at any rate, is your garage heated? If so, is there a way you could REALLY heat it up? Found this via Google:

Trying to get the last bit of energy out of your batteries when you really, really need another 20 seconds for the cam? Put your batteries on the heating or, if there's no heating, hold it in your hand to make it warmer. This will give you some time...(http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/Batteries)

The main goal (which you probably know already) is to get the hood latch popped so's you can recharge that batt...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Jack the front and rear up and using some rollers (Rent) move it a little to the side if you can.

freeflubber said:
My 05 GT Vert is hibernating for the winter, it has been sitting for only 2 weeks and the battery is completely flat!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zregime said:
This sounds like one of those questions they give you on an IQ test...

Will the trunk pop? If so, you could pull the infamous rip cord inside and crawl in through the back seat...(this is apparently a non-starter, per the previous comment posted as I was composing this one...)

Not sure how you were able to verify that the battery was completely dead if you couldn't get inside the vehicle...at any rate, is your garage heated? If so, is there a way you could REALLY heat it up? Found this via Google:

Trying to get the last bit of energy out of your batteries when you really, really need another 20 seconds for the cam? Put your batteries on the heating or, if there's no heating, hold it in your hand to make it warmer. This will give you some time...(http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/Batteries)

The main goal (which you probably know already) is to get the hood latch popped so's you can recharge that batt...
The entry for the trunk thing is not possible, the VERT doesn't have fold down seats...and I assure you...the battery is flat, this seems to be a known issue..check this out.
http://http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=392864#post392864

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nbk13nw said:
Jack the front and rear up and using some rollers (Rent) move it a little to the side if you can.
Very creative, and possible!

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Smart Way

Since you have only 2" on the drivers side I'll assume you have some room on the passenger side.

1)Jack up the passenger side with a floor jack on the subframe just beind the front tire.

2) Place a jackstand under the rocker panel at the factory jacking location.

3)Crawl under the car and find the starter (passenger side).

4)Remove the protective plastic cap covering the positive terminal.

5)Clip battery charger positive to the positive terminal of the starter.
This is directly connected to the positive terminal of the battery

6)Connect the negative terminal to any good ground.

7)Plug in your battery charger and let your battery charge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thump_rrr said:
Since you have only 2" on the drivers side I'll assume you have some room on the passenger side.

1)Jack up the passenger side with a floor jack on the subframe just beind the front tire.

2) Place a jackstand under the rocker panel at the factory jacking location.

3)Crawl under the car and find the starter (passenger side).

4)Remove the protective plastic cap covering the positive terminal.

Haha....beat you to the punch....did it through the trunk light, I just got in. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
freeflubber said:

several of the suggestions will work, floor jack to move a little at a time, wheel chocks, and hooking a battery charger to starter. after you get into the car and get it started buy a battery tender and hook it up. no more dead battery. also, if car is in the garage and it is a convert, why lock the doors? if someone want your car bad enough they will just slice the top and unlock the door.

Jon

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now what do I do about this piece of $hit battery I have. Should Ford replace it under warranty?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
93GT_RagTop said:
several of the suggestions will work, floor jack to move a little at a time, wheel chocks, and hooking a battery charger to starter. after you get into the car and get it started buy a battery tender and hook it up. no more dead battery. also, if car is in the garage and it is a convert, why lock the doors? if someone want your car bad enough they will just slice the top and unlock the door.

Jon
You sir, have an excellent point. Door is now unlocked.

·
Registered
118 Posts
buy a battery tender and you should be ok with the stock battery. all the electronics that are in the newer cars will drain the battery. i just started mine yesterday after being covered for over two weeks and went for a cruise. no garage yet at my new house and boy do i miss it.

Jon

·
Registered
305 Posts
freeflubber said:
You sir, have an excellent point. Door is now unlocked.
What was that address again?:naughty

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Charge via starter

I think the starter gets it's power through a contact that is normally open. Turning the key to "start" closes that contact, right? Is it different on new cars? Otherwise, the starter would be running all the time. That's why there is only one wire, to the starter motor.

I could be wrong... anyone?

That's why I discarded the idea of using the starter motor "red-wire" to charge the battery. I think all you would do is activate the starter motor and jump the car forward, onto yourself, as you are under it (if it's a five speed). On the other hand, your widow will at least have the car back out of the garage, as it leapfrogs to the end of the extension cord you used to attach the charger to the starter. Your last thought will be that you wish you hadn't lowered it that 1.5 inches :)

-David

·
Banned
128 Posts
Remove the black shroud splashguard thing under the front dam....reach up and you can pop the hood. With the dead battery no Alarm wil go off.

Recharge Battery!:wavey

·
Registered
897 Posts
JetBlack said:
I think the starter gets it's power through a contact that is normally open. Turning the key to "start" closes that contact, right? Is it different on new cars? Otherwise, the starter would be running all the time. That's why there is only one wire, to the starter motor.

I could be wrong... anyone?

That's why I discarded the idea of using the starter motor "red-wire" to charge the battery. I think all you would do is activate the starter motor and jump the car forward, onto yourself, as you are under it (if it's a five speed). On the other hand, your widow will at least have the car back out of the garage, as it leapfrogs to the end of the extension cord you used to attach the charger to the starter. Your last thought will be that you wish you hadn't lowered it that 1.5 inches :)

-David
Hi David,

I wrote it in this order for a reason. This way you wouldn't be under the car when it jumped. :eyepoppin
thump_rrr said:

But seriously,

You are definitely wrong and Starters have always been wired this way. If you look closely at the starter in the Ford diagram you will notice the contact is internal to it.
That's what is called the solenoid. For people who don't know anything about cars it would be called the "little bump" on the starter.

Look HERE for the Ford factory diagram.

If you are unable to understand this type of diagram you can go to what I call the "Diagram for Dummies" HERE.

Sorry for the picture quality but the only way I could get this drawing posted was to take a picture of the screen. I'm sure someone will have a better way and if so I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
freeflubber said:
Haha....beat you to the punch....did it through the trunk light, I just got in. Thanks!!!
Sorry to say but not the best way to do it.

HERE is the diagram for the trunk light circuit.

If you notice the power goes through the Smart Junction Box or SBJ

The SBJ controlls the functioning of your power windows,door locks,mirrors,interior illumination and radio.

It is also a low current device which means it can't handle a large current. I wouldn't be using this in the future unless you want expensive repair bills.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Solenoid

thump_rrr said:
Hi David,
You are definitely wrong and Starters have always been wired this way. If you look closely at the starter in the Ford diagram you will notice the contact is internal to it.
That's what is called the solenoid. For people who don't know anything about cars it would be called the "little bump" on the starter.
Ah, I had a VW with starter/solenoid all in one. My truck has a little chrome dealie, bolted to the firewall, next to the battery, where the ignition wire goes for the starter. Figured that was either the solenoid itself or a relay for the soelnoid, in the starter. When I replaced the starter, I never looked at it that closely. Flippin' heavy though!

Thanks,
-David

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Thanks to this horrible problem that started this thread I took it upon myself to unlock my car that is under a cover in the garage. I would rather learn from other people's mistakes, and play it safe. I figure the battery could drain quickly since the temp is in the single digits.

-Glad you finally got into the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts