Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the site and thought I would rely on some experience in my 5.0 buildup. I have a stock rebuilt bottom end and recently bought some ported and polished Twisted Wedge Heads. Now I want to keep the car streetable and do not want an extreme lopey idle, but I do want to take advantage of every HP the heads can provide. I plan on using either a Track Heat Intake or the RPM 2. Any input on a camshaft that you have had experience with would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the site and thought I would rely on some experience in my 5.0 buildup. I have a stock rebuilt bottom end and recently bought some ported and polished Twisted Wedge Heads. Now I want to keep the car streetable and do not want an extreme lopey idle, but I do want to take advantage of every HP the heads can provide. I plan on using either a Track Heat Intake or the RPM 2. Any input on a camshaft that you have had experience with would be great. Thanks

I bought a Trickflow cam. Stage 2 I think. Haven't got it in yet but I've heard a few good things about them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That crossed my mind but I believe the TW heads are good for .540 max lift and max 224 duration at .50 and that cam worries me about PVC.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That crossed my mind but I believe the TW heads are good for .540 max lift and max 224 duration at .50 and that cam worries me about PVC.

Ah I see. I have some AFR heads i will be using one day when i get my other problems fixed. Someone with more advice on this sort of thing will chime in soon. Best of luck

·
Registered
636 Posts
give comp cams a shout. they can either point you in the right direction or help you choose. imho, if you want good streetability go with a tfs1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I probably will call cc, I was hoping for someone to chime in with personal experience with cams good for my setup. I was looking at TF stage 1, comp cams XE266HR or XE270HR. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Those "specs" are based on some stuff they mention regarding PtV based on duration and valve lift numbers.... in error. If you have the TFS TW 170's with dual 1.460" OD TFS-31400414 springs, they can withstand a total valve lift of ~.640" (installed height of 1.800").

Regarding PtV based on lift...... total valve lift has nothing, nada, zero to do with possible PtV issues + the TW design clears better than regular inline valves style heads (ie stock, GT40, AFR, Edelbrock, etc) due to their valve angle change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those "specs" are based on some stuff they mention regarding PtV based on duration and valve lift numbers.... in error. If you have the TFS TW 170's with dual 1.460" OD TFS-31400414 springs, they can withstand a total valve lift of ~.640" (installed height of 1.800").

Regarding PtV based on lift...... total valve lift has nothing, nada, zero to do with possible PtV issues + the TW design clears better than regular inline valves style heads (ie stock, GT40, AFR, Edelbrock, etc) due to their valve angle change.
Very interestng ! I wonder why TF advertizes the other #s.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Hi,

The above will not be gotten from an off the shelf cam. This is custom cam territory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh I know. I kind of almost want the impossible. A mild cam with superpowers. LOL. Really though if I could get about 300-325 to the rear wheels I would be extremely happy. If it was a very streetable 325 I would be even happier. I really appreciate everybody's comments so far. Very helpful. The cam is pretty much what I will build my car off of so it is a difficult decision.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Very interestng ! I wonder why TF advertizes the other #s.
Depends on what parts come on the heads(Valve spring wise). The springs joel5.0 mentioned are an upgrade item. Your basic setup will have a single spring and dampner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depends on what parts come on the heads(Valve spring wise). The springs joel5.0 mentioned are an upgrade item. Your basic setup will have a single spring and dampner.
I bought my heads used and was going to take them to a machine shop to have them cleaned. Hoped that the guy would let me know what kind of springs are on the heads. If I had a spring compressor I would do it myself. Hoping they are the spring previously mentioned, but it does appear that they are the single spring and damper.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regarding this thread as there are no people on to reply to mine, I'm in the same dilemma as you, other than I'm still trying to decide on heads. Are the twisted wedge among the best power wise? I was also looking into Aluminum GT40-X heads or AFR 165s. I'm working with a GT40 Upper & Lower intake at the moment as well. Then I'll be where you are regarding the cam once I get the heads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Regarding this thread as there are no people on to reply to mine, I'm in the same dilemma as you, other than I'm still trying to decide on heads. Are the twisted wedge among the best power wise? I was also looking into Aluminum GT40-X heads or AFR 165s. I'm working with a GT40 Upper & Lower intake at the moment as well. Then I'll be where you are regarding the cam once I get the heads.
I think it depends on who you ask, but the AFRs are probably the best. I got the Twisted Wedge because I got a great deal, but the AFRs were my first choice. I don't think I would waste my money on any of the Gt heads, but then again I don't what your goals are and how much you want to spend. The Gts are no were near as good as the AFRs. You get what you pay for. The GT intake is Ok and would work until you decided to uprade later, but you for sure would not get the most out of the TW or AFR. Im no pro but that is my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok so the AFRs do draw more power then? That's what my decision rides on, how much HP I can bring in... I'll eventually change the intake, I know the GT40 intake won't give me all that I'm looking for but that's what the previous owner of the car had on it before I purchased it so I can live with it for now. And from the looks of the replies to this thread, I'll need a custom cam to throw on with em to draw out all the power I can?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
AFR 165 and the GT40x heads dont compare to the Twisted Wedge 170. The Twisted Wedge is a larger better designed head.

The AFR 185 and TW 170 are very close. I give the edge to the Twisted Wedge. Mainly from the design features that the Twisted Wedge has that the AFR's dont.

The Twisted Wedge 185 is way better than the AFR 185.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.