Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 1969 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ, looking for proper engine bay black and the proper engine color. Would like paint codes for both.
It is a late 68 build date if that makes a difference. Everyone says it should be the dark Ford blue on the engine but all the parts I removed seem to be alot lighter shade. This is a concours restore so need to be correct. Thanks alot

·
Registered
142 Posts
The engine bay color is a semi gloss black. I've had pretty good results with Eastwood's Co Underhood black. The paint comes in either spray cans or quarts (for use with a spray gun). http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-underhood-black-paint.html

I also found the following info per Bob Perkins (well known Mustang restoration expert).
"The Ditzler number is DDL-9423 for Low Gloss Black. I also recommend Ditzler DP90LF Epoxy Primer as a basecoat because the DDL-9423 is transparent over light-colored primer".

As far as engine color, I seem to recall Ford corporate blue. I'm sure someone else here can guide you to the proper spray bomb color from either Duplicolor or Krylon. If you wish to use a gun, I think ditzler also makes an epoxy primer and Ford Blue as well.

Best of luck with the restoration. You have a very nice Mach 1 there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts