Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a disclaimer I'm not trying to fool ford, my car has had NO engine issues or trouble codes ever. But I am going to be driving it bone stock from now on and I don't want ford to try to blame stuff on a tune I ran for a few thousand miles if anything happens in the future. Is there any way to clear the PCM cache or whatever?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Returning it to the stock tune should fix all that shouldn't it?

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's still unclear what, if anything, Ford can see. From some documents posted in another thread, it would seem that after you flash it to stock and run it for a few drive cycles, then you'll just have a code in there that is shared with a battery disconnect, and you'll be good to go.

IANAL though nor a Ford engineer. Bottom line, if you really don't ever plan to mod again, get the PCM replaced or updated at the dealer, and all traces should be gone.

·
Registered
439 Posts
why don't people just get the procal tune from ford to overwrite there aftermarket tunes. I am proably just gonna get the power pack and have the dealer install it so I have no worries. I am sure others with aftermarket tunes should be able to do the same? Just a thought plus you still have a OK tune

·
Registered
459 Posts
why don't people just get the procal tune from ford to overwrite there aftermarket tunes. I am proably just gonna get the power pack and have the dealer install it so I have no worries. I am sure others with aftermarket tunes should be able to do the same? Just a thought plus you still have a OK tune
You need to remember that Ford Motor Company will no longer warranty your powertrain. Ford Racing Performance Parts will provide you with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty if it's installed at delivery and 1 year/12,000 if installed after.

Ford Racing Performance Parts - [Warranty]

• A 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty is applicable if installed at the time of new vehicle delivery
  • A 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty is in effect if installed after the date of vehicle delivery but prior to expiration of 3 years / 36,000 mile vehicle warranty
The most important paragraph:

"All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories."

Though I'd also be concerned with this:

"The warranty will cover parts and labor to replace defective components on Ford Dealer installed parts only."

Take the risk or don't, IMHO.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There are really only two options. Replace the PCM, or have it reflashed with a Ford calibration. Reflashing with a tuner, disconnecting the battery, or completing a drive cycle won't do crap. There are several ways that engineering can determine if it was flashed before, and I'm fairly certain the dealer version of IDS has some capability too. Now whether a tech knows how to check, that seems fairly rare.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Wouldn't flashing the stock tune back to the PCM be the same thing as flashing a Ford calibration?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nope, there are parts of the PCM memory that are not overwritten with a flash or a power loss, like various timers and trip info from when it was last reflashed, codes erased, number of key cycles, red line events, over heat events, etc. The current ECU and software I work with literally has hundreds of these virtually untouchable parameters. The tuners also do not create a valid checksum, so even if everything else cal wise is fixed, those things will still raise a red flag.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
its liek a normal pc. U can clear the hd but a trained tech can still find the erased data

·
Registered
893 Posts
I hate to see so many people returning to stock or not going ahead with any future mods because of the whole cylinder #8 and TSB deal.

That said I totally understand your reason for doing it.
I've heard of something called checksum that allows Ford to see you had a previous tune on your car.

not sure if this is fact or fiction but I did hear about it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
All software has a check sum of binary it's simple as a 1 or a 0. Yes they can tell your 8 - 12 binary has changed, unless someone from Ford reflashes your CPU. And changing your PCM would void your warranty. I went through this with GM :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All software has a check sum of binary it's simple as a 1 or a 0. Yes they can tell your 8 - 12 binary has changed, unless someone from Ford reflashes your CPU. And changing your PCM would void your warranty. I went through this with GM :bigthumbsup

I had my car reflashed by the dealer for the néw TSB, would that do it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to get off topic, but did you notice a HP Increase with this???
Nope, it does what it says it will, that's it. Car idles awesome now, rock solid even after WOT, A/C, hot day, cold day... You name it, no more idle surging. Start it in the morning with no starter sticking (I purposely put the key in and crank it right over) no hiccups whatsoever.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nope, there are parts of the PCM memory that are not overwritten with a flash or a power loss, like various timers and trip info from when it was last reflashed, codes erased, number of key cycles, red line events, over heat events, etc. The current ECU and software I work with literally has hundreds of these virtually untouchable parameters. The tuners also do not create a valid checksum, so even if everything else cal wise is fixed, those things will still raise a red flag.
I think people need to realize this ^^^. If you tune, you take a risk. If you have an issue and take your car to the dealer, he will be able to discern some things based on their tools, knowledge and/or inclination to do so. If it escalates past the dealer and Ford gets the pcm. They most certainly have the tools to dissect the pcm and will find whether or not it has been tuned. IMHO Ford is not going to engineer a pcm that they don't have full and complete access to.

I for one would like to see first hand what a tune could do. However, I am not willing to fork out lots of $$$ to fix it. So stock is fine for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A checksum in an ECU is more than a single bit. :frustrated:

And changing the PCM would require you to have the keys reprogrammed, which can only be done by a dealer. Try explaining to a dealer why you're buying a new PCM and having them reprogram your keys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts