Ford Mustang Forum banner

Protection from bird droppings

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Hoosier Daddy 
#1 ·
Just thought I would share with you guys. When i got my car in May, a bird crapped all over the hood. I washed it off within a few hours but it had already started burning through the clear coat and left blemishes in the paint.
I have since put on several coats of liquid glass polish ( Im up to about 35). It is easy to apply and remove, just have to be very carefull around the black trim. Anyways got more bird droppings on the car twice. Once was that purple stuff that seems to be like battery acid. I washed it off when I could ( after a few hours) and low and behold, there is not a mark on the paint. My car shines like glass as well. Doesnt look anything like the factory paint. And feels as smooth as silk. Bugs wash right off as well. That liquid glass is worth all the effort, and worth every penny.

#2 ·
I had the same experience with a different wax. I believe the blemish is more of a reaction from new paint with the bird poop. This has happened to me on a new 2000 Chrysler LHS and my new 2011 Mustang. The blemish eventually does go away though, as long as the poop does not stay on for more than 24 hrs in my case. The blemish almost looked like the paint was starting to wrinkle, like the way your hands look after swimming but it could not be felt by the touch of your hands. Yes, that purple bird poop is the worst.

#4 ·
A custom car cover is another option for repelling bird crap :gringreen

#5 ·
I'd find that bird and threaten it's life...see if it ever comes back:bigthumbsup
lol

#6 ·
If my neighbor had bird feeders next to my driveway I would have a shotgun loaded with birdshot next to my front door. I would also make nightly trips to his bird feeders with a hand full of rat poison.....

#7 ·
A good paint sealant will also help with things of this "nature".

#9 ·
Agreed. I've been using Wolfgang's Sealant for a few years now and it really is good. I've tried quite a few products (sealants and waxes) over the years such as: Zaino, Pinnacle, Meguire's, and Klasse just to name a few. Do you have a link to the liquid glass you are using? I've never tried it, but would like to give it a shot to see the difference in what I'm using.

All of them are great and I've had good results, but I especially like this Wolfgang's 3.0.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine.

I've only had two bird incidents with the Mustang, but my main problem is with tree sap over here. Both the bird poop and the sap come right off with this stuff. It goes on easy and comes off easy with little to no dust. Naturally, I clay'd before the first use.

Here's what it looks like after rain:

#10 ·
#13 ·
And if they are roosting on your car make sure you get them airborne first, and not just to make it more sporting.

#12 ·
Because of the rain in Seattle and general crappy weather we have a little bit more time to address the bird craps on the cars. I can't imagine the attention to detail needed in the southern dry climates. If you park outside I would see how a regular walkaround would be a "must" before getting in your car everytime. Never though of that one before... I'd only wish that on a few people in life.

Edit:

Here is an explanation I found... (on the internet!)

The firm's researchers say that when paint lacquer warms – in sunlight, for instance – it softens and expands. At the same time, the heat dries and hardens any bird droppings on the surface. But as the paint lacquer cools again, such as overnight, it contracts, hardens and moulds itself around the texture of the bird dropping.

Afterwards, the "moulding" appears as dulled or etched paintwork. The light's reflection is interrupted by the imperfect surface, unlike the undamaged surrounding paint which gives off a clearer reflection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.