Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be old news for folks like Fishingjts who keep up with the v6 tech at Mustang Source, but it is still noteworthy just the same.

Time slips

For those of you interested you can read about the setup in this thread

The basics are a stock engine, running 104 octane fuel (for safety of car). It apprently dyno's at 399 RWHP and 420ish ft/lbs torque. Boost was up to 12 PSI. Ask fishingjts about it, he apparently got a ride in it (lucky! :drool:)

I'm going to keep an eye on this turbo kit for sure, once they get some numbers for 91-93 octane tunes for it.

The numbers are off the top of my head, might be slightly inaccurate but that's what I remember them saying.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Goliath said:
This will be old news for folks like Fishingjts who keep up with the v6 tech at Mustang Source, but it is still noteworthy just the same.

Time slips

For those of you interested you can read about the setup in this thread

The basics are a stock engine, running 104 octane fuel (for safety of car). It apprently dyno's at 399 RWHP and 420ish ft/lbs torque. Boost was up to 12 PSI. Ask fishingjts about it, he apparently got a ride in it (lucky! :drool:)

I'm going to keep an eye on this turbo kit for sure, once they get some numbers for 91-93 octane tunes for it.

The numbers are off the top of my head, might be slightly inaccurate but that's what I remember them saying.
Torque is actually 440ish... LOL!

And yes, I was lucky enough to get a ride in this car! IT WAS CRAZY! I had to keep reminding myself this was a V6! Now granted this was 12 psi boost on 104 octane race..... But still talk about slapping you back in the seat and getting your butt to pucker!!!

I will have to do some serious thinking over the winter... and maybe start saving my pennies!!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Wow.....
Wow....
Damn....
That's fast!

Makes me wonder what that turbo setup will do for a GT.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, those are some WAY SICK times for -- correct me if I'm reading that Mustang Source thread wrong -- a basically off-the-lot V6, with only the prototype turbo added.

This is definitely making me rethink the Procharger/SC route I was thinking of taking. I'd become prejudiced against Turbos after my experience with the '79 Stang -- it had a turbo, but when it kicked in it sounded like a girl was blow-drying her hair in the engine compartment, and the power increase was like BARELY noticeable. A green light in the dash would come on...that was about the coolest thing the feature had.

So does anyone care to venture a guess as to what the price of this retail turbo will be? More, less, or about the same as the Procharger?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
zregime said:
Yeah, those are some WAY SICK times for -- correct me if I'm reading that Mustang Source thread wrong -- a basically off-the-lot V6, with only the prototype turbo added.

This is definitely making me rethink the Procharger/SC route I was thinking of taking. I'd become prejudiced against Turbos after my experience with the '79 Stang -- it had a turbo, but when it kicked in it sounded like a girl was blow-drying her hair in the engine compartment, and the power increase was like BARELY noticeable. A green light in the dash would come on...that was about the coolest thing the feature had.

So does anyone care to venture a guess as to what the price of this retail turbo will be? More, less, or about the same as the Procharger?
Ok... Mike didn't swear me to secrecy but I don't want mispeak or say anything that's not 100% accurate but I will point out a few commonly known things....

yes, the motor is a stock 4.0L but the rear end got replaced this summer... They broke the 7.5 a couple of times, remember they are running some really STICKY tires! I know they busted the Track-Lock and I believe the axles too... so they put a 8.8 rear in... The tranny is the stock manual trany but it is starting starting to complain about being abused.... I also believe the clutch is starting to get iffy..

They of course had to replace the injectors and fuel pump... (BAP?)

Yeah, it's certianly got me thinking! LOL!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
CRAZY! But then again on blue bottle fuel, boost in the teens... not really a street car anymore... not to mention the drivetrain breaking down allready... bottom end still stock?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
kj_cinci said:
CRAZY! But then again on blue bottle fuel, boost in the teens... not really a street car anymore... not to mention the drivetrain breaking down allready... bottom end still stock?
yep, bottom end is still stock.... The reason the back end was coming apart is those hard launches with very sticky tires.... (which is one reason I'm keeping street tires on my car for now! LOL)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've meet Mike @ Quaker City Raceway a few months back and saw his GT turbo run w/ 9 psi. He puts down some very nice numbers. I didn't see the 6 banger run but got a good view of it at his shop. He definitely knows his sh!t. He did some outstanding work addressing fuel & MAF issues on my rig.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kj_cinci said:
First there is no true definition of a "street" car. Not to go off in any rant but a true street car is something that you can tolerate. Something that you are willing to take a few doordings and parking lot rash. The term "street car" is truely relative.
EX. I have an early Saleen that is bone stock that I restored from the ground up myself, and I drive it very seldomly, not because it isn't streetable from the standpoint of "too much power", but because there is a "lack of repect" I choose not drive it because no matter where I go with it, it seems that someone is so selfish that they do not have the respect for the hard work that I have put into the car. And cannot find it in the heart not to lean on it, not to ride the bike across the hood, or not swing their door into it.

As far as the trans and rear starting to show their tolerence for power, We are pushing the limits of the stock components so you do not have to. We will know at what exact point things will start to fail.
For every problem there is a solution, the solutions are often times out for debate, but we would like ourselves and others to understand the limits of the components that Ford supplies us with in these vehicles.
The trans may be weak from the start, it may be because of a miss shift or two, at this point we are unsure as we have yet to remove and inspect it.
The diff is another thing, the 7.5 is known to be a weak link, I believe that a Detroit locker is the solution.
The ring gear has not failed in the 7.5, only the side gear in the Ford Trac lock that we were running.
The axle had failed from circumstances that we knew would cause failure, but at that time it was a "desperate time, which called for desperate measures". And trust me, nothing that anyone on this boar would ever do.
Not to mention the axles should be replaced when running an agressive tire as well.
We run a Mickey Thompson ET radial, and we hit the tires very hard, (60ft heading into the 1.6 range) alot harder the most v6 and even some v8 guys can imagine, this causes failure to rear it's ugly head.
We have over 75 passes on the car with 95% of those passes being WOT powershifts, that was n/a, nitrous and turbo charged.
95% of the folks in the v6 cars would never drive their car 1/10 as hard as we do, for us this is called r&d, to others it's abuse. It becomes expensive, and supplies most everyone with answers to common strength question.
Again, Every problem has a solution, and the list is not all that long when it comes to getting the v6 car squared away for this power level.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Mike, Thanks! For breaking your car so we don't have to (hopefully) break ours! Now get going on the GT bottom-end, tranny, drivshaft, diff, and axles! :winks

My def for Street Car was past at the 104 Octane, as you can't buy that at many by the STREET fuel statioons...

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
First there is no true definition of a "street" car. Not to go off in any rant but a true street car is something that you can tolerate. Something that you are willing to take a few doordings and parking lot rash. The term "street car" is truely relative.
EX. I have an early Saleen that is bone stock that I restored from the ground up myself, and I drive it very seldomly, not because it isn't streetable from the standpoint of "too much power", but because there is a "lack of repect" I choose not drive it because no matter where I go with it, it seems that someone is so selfish that they do not have the respect for the hard work that I have put into the car. And cannot find it in the heart not to lean on it, not to ride the bike across the hood, or not swing their door into it.

As far as the trans and rear starting to show their tolerence for power, We are pushing the limits of the stock components so you do not have to. We will know at what exact point things will start to fail.
For every problem there is a solution, the solutions are often times out for debate, but we would like ourselves and others to understand the limits of the components that Ford supplies us with in these vehicles.
The trans may be weak from the start, it may be because of a miss shift or two, at this point we are unsure as we have yet to remove and inspect it.
The diff is another thing, the 7.5 is known to be a weak link, I believe that a Detroit locker is the solution.
The ring gear has not failed in the 7.5, only the side gear in the Ford Trac lock that we were running.
The axle had failed from circumstances that we knew would cause failure, but at that time it was a "desperate time, which called for desperate measures". And trust me, nothing that anyone on this boar would ever do.
Not to mention the axles should be replaced when running an agressive tire as well.
We run a Mickey Thompson ET radial, and we hit the tires very hard, (60ft heading into the 1.6 range) alot harder the most v6 and even some v8 guys can imagine, this causes failure to rear it's ugly head.
We have over 75 passes on the car with 95% of those passes being WOT powershifts, that was n/a, nitrous and turbo charged.
95% of the folks in the v6 cars would never drive their car 1/10 as hard as we do, for us this is called r&d, to others it's abuse. It becomes expensive, and supplies most everyone with answers to common strength question.
Again, Every problem has a solution, and the list is not all that long when it comes to getting the v6 car squared away for this power level.

the 7.5 is underrated, especially the 01+ you should get a diff cover from TA performance, it'll help a bunch!

Definitely go with the Detroit Locker!

R

·
0 Posts
With enuff $$$, anything can be done with cars to some degree from 4 bangers to V-10's.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
With enuff $$$, anything can be done with cars to some degree from 4 bangers to V-10's.
yeah, but this will require significantly less than a Shelby, and will weigh less as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts