Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, how often do you guys top up your coolant? I haven't touched the coolant in the 4 years I've owned my 'stang.

however due to my recent issues i'm checking carefully all the levels etc. I noticed that the coolant is under the cold fill level by a 1/4 inch. I cant remember the last time I checked it but I remember it was ok. I've checked up, under and over the engine including the infamous thermostat housing and there aren't any leaks I can see. It doesn't run hot as the needle is bang in the middle of the gauge every time, and the cooling fans run.

The other thing since my issues with bad running etc, when I switch off the engine I get a very quick PSSST noise (like opening a soda bottle) from under the hood, you can only hear it when you have the door open it lasts like a 1/4 sec, It may have done this since I got it but now I'm paranoid about it being something worse. It seems to be coming from the purge valve, I've checked for vac leaks and all that jazz and haven't found anything. during my issues I pretty much changed everything plugs, leads, coil, egr valve and purge valve the engine now seems to run fine, im not getting the poinking noise anymore, so I'm hoping it was just crappy fuel. This afternoon I changed the PCV valve as it was pretty brown. it still rattled so i assumed it worked. It made this noise before I change the PCV and still makes it now. Does anyone else get this PSSST noise when they shut off there engine?

I'm hoping its not anything serious as being in the UK there isn't many garages here that know anything about these cars as 'stangs are very rare here. don't get me wrong I love my 'stang but I sometimes wonder why I brought it with me. The last few months it's been nothing but a PITA! But I still love it.

TIA :)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive had to add just a half cup to mine every now and then,( like maybe once a year or so) and we have with the 06 too to bring the coolant up to the line. that sounds pretty normal. i bought a gal of gold coolant from fords just to top the cars off. the vacuum noise sounds normal too. maybe its coming through the air intake? i`ll have to pay special attention next time i shut it down :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed it as well. It only seems to make the pssst noise after I run it a lot though. My gauge also stays in the middle. I don't think it's anything to serious.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I get it too even without the a/c. I'm pretty sure it's just the air intake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much guys :) You've been great :) Puts my mind at rest. :bigthumbsup

I had images of Unseated valves and all sorts lol. I wouldn't worry as much if there was a dealer here that covered US Cars.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think the only reason you hear it is because you have an aftermarket CAI. They do allow for more motor airflow noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts