Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,807 Posts
Hahaha. Your engine bay is as dirty as mine. I need to powerwash it. I've gotten real lazy since I havent had to open the hood for anything besides an oil change.

Good job. It must have been fun navigating that engine with the transmission connected out of the car.

What are the plans for the car?

That crossmember is disgusting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it's real diry in there. The engine had 163k miles on it and was starting to leak oil around the water pump. My plan is to clean up that engine bay and start saving money for a C4 transmission. I am also going to take the engine appart down to the block and see how it looks. My goal is to have a 331 stroker with either a turbo or a supercharger. I want to see if the block is good enough to build into a stroker or if I will need a whole new block. It's gunna be a slow process though b/c I am limited on funds right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
hey man iam doing the same thing ur doing i but havent pulled the engine out yet. I am going with the same set up 331 or 347 stroker and putting a SC our turbo on it . Witch ever i can get cheaper because i am on a REAL low fund but let know if u come into any problems or if u can give me some do's and donts k thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
just a note on cleaning out that engine compartment (or any.) if you have the money, about 50 - 75 bucks, run to sears and grab a hand held steam cleaner. they do WONDERS. gets everything SHINING. and you dont have to worry about blowing parts away. also, the steam cleaner will get that grime out of your dash and door panel vinyl as well! very easy and definately worth it. works wonders on wheels and calipers as well! now that i think about it, i might steam my whole car....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
GhostDog 5.0 said:
Hahaha. Your engine bay is as dirty as mine.

I feel your pain...I just "detailed" mine like 3 mos ago...Can you tell? Ummm, no... And having to rebuild the injectors didn't help, LOL.

Congrats on being able to "start new". Are you planning on hiding the wiring?
J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MUSTANG Sal 87 said:
hey man iam doing the same thing ur doing i but havent pulled the engine out yet. I am going with the same set up 331 or 347 stroker and putting a SC our turbo on it . Witch ever i can get cheaper because i am on a REAL low fund but let know if u come into any problems or if u can give me some do's and donts k thanks.
One heads up I can give you b/c it was a mistake I made is loosten the flywheel to torque converter bolts BEFORE disconnecting the engine and the transmission. I think I was just a little too excited when the engine came out and I rushed to detach the trans from the engine. You need to use the transmission to keep the flywheel from turning while you losten those bolts. We ended up sticking screwdrivers through some holes to keep it in place and got the bolts off but it was a real pain. If you don't have an AOD trans you don't have to worry about this though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
yea i have the 5 speed but thanks for the tip!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I8URVTEC said:
One heads up I can give you b/c it was a mistake I made is loosten the flywheel to torque converter bolts BEFORE disconnecting the engine and the transmission. I think I was just a little too excited when the engine came out and I rushed to detach the trans from the engine. You need to use the transmission to keep the flywheel from turning while you losten those bolts. We ended up sticking screwdrivers through some holes to keep it in place and got the bolts off but it was a real pain. If you don't have an AOD trans you don't have to worry about this though.
Or just get a 3/8" air gun and socket. but wait, why couldn't you just keep the crank from turning while loosening them... i mean thats how i do it at work if i dont use an air gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Yea i just pulled the engine out and iam cleaing the engine bay and i am getting it ready for paint but i have to gut a nother notch and iam a lil shakey on putting them back together and making them run right. Does anybody have any liek "How to's" or anything cuz the biggest thing iam worried about is putting together the cluch and everything. thanks guys
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top