Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulled over last week for driving in front of the same police station I drive by in front of every day for excessive acceleration/exhibition of speed. The officer based this on the sound of my exhaust and he said it looked like I was definitely going over the speed limit. He couldn't tell me what speed I was going because he didn't use his provided standard equipment (i.e. Radar Gun) so he told me not to argue with him and he won't suspend my license for a month over the racing statute and give me a heftier fine. He ticked me for 'Traffic Control Device - Fail to Obey' the device in question being the speed limit sign. Throughout the traffic stop he asked me several idiotic questions, such as: "Do you think you can just... accelerate because you're in a Mustang?"

Truth is, I was going about 40 MPH and I was probably in second gear almost redlining due to my race tune, of course I couldn't argue with him or I'd get a heftier fine. Fifteen minutes later I had already applied for my court hearing so I can go before a judge and explain my situation, though I'm sure it would be of no use, since the judge is in bed with a sworn police officer and I'm sure the judge would believe him over a twenty-year old kid.

I plan to put it in writing and show documents to the judge/magistrate proving I have a modified exhaust system and tune/cai (hopefully this doesn't get me in any more trouble because I'm sure 'mods' are technically illegal) and I plan to show it took the officer exactly 1.3 miles of deciding to pull me over before he pulled out of the police station. I saw him approaching me at about 120 mph in my rear-view without his lights/siren and he could have possibly hurt another driver on the road when it was obviously not worth it.

This guy has been waiting for me to do something wrong for several days, as I've seen him sitting outside of the police station before this. I guess he finally got fed-up and didn't even use his radar (I have a radar detector by the way, he only used it when he got on my rear-end and prepared to pull me over) and pulled me over for some B.S. reason.

Any thoughts on this, guys? I know some other people have been pulled over for the same type of junk before, but I've been pretty pissed over the past few days over this.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I would not call attention to having modified anything on the car. It is against the law to modify any exhaust component on a pollution controlled vehicle. You'll just be asking for more trouble.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I think your high rpms/exhaust got you in trouble. That can be taken as an exhibition of speed. There is a disclaimer on those tuning devices that say they are not legal on pollution controlled vehicles.
Tough one. Hope the judge tosses it. I would be careful around that station from now on. :shiny:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to figure out how to word it without saying I'm modified. I could just tell them I've been tuned from Ford or something.

Maybe I should just write that the Mustang GT has a strong exhaust note and is a bit more powerful than the average police Impala and that the officer could have mistaken me for going fast.

With this tune it's kind of hard -not- to accelerate excessively. Even when tapping the pedal it seems to want to launch me forward but I'm usually left alone by most officers because they don't seem to care. Maybe he's mad because the other day I blew by and made him drop his Starbuck's?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I have to figure out how to word it without saying I'm modified. I could just tell them I've been tuned from Ford or something.

Maybe I should just write that the Mustang GT has a strong exhaust note and is a bit more powerful than the average police Impala and that the officer could have mistaken me for going fast.

With this tune it's kind of hard -not- to accelerate excessively. Even when tapping the pedal it seems to want to launch me forward but I'm usually left alone by most officers because they don't seem to care. Maybe he's mad because the other day I blew by and made him drop his Starbuck's?
You mean it's kinda hard not to have a light foot don't you? :D
Like STL said, I wouldn't mention the tune, but I don't think mentioning a new exhaust would get you in trouble unless it is above the noise level in the area.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was ridin through town one nite on my way home from college when i came up to a red light.It was a four lane road and there was a cop in tha left lane. I guess i was trying to be a bad butt but i pulled up beside the cop. When the light turned green he followed me all the way through town and pulled me over at the court house. Within 15 minutes i had 4 cops surrounding my stang. It scared me to death! The cop said my tag didnt belong on my car,my insurance and tag was outta date,my vin numbers were not the same as the ones on the insurance card and a bunch of other crap.. We finally got it straightened out and the cop gave me a warnin. I had to get a new licence plate. It was 350 bucks...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I have to ask what's this about having to redline it due to the tune? That won't work in court.

·
Registered
205 Posts
And why did you redline it in front of a police station?!?

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I wouldn't put up with that s##t. Go to court he has to prove that you was breaking the law. I had the same thing happen to me and the judge threw it out because the officer didn't show up because he knew he didn't have any proof.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After talking to some people, I hear last week was a crazy week for tickets. I only go to that city to go to class and I hear they ended up canceling a certain festival and a certain group got mad and sued the city and the city was left with the bill... so now the cops are on the rampage. I think maybe I need to disguise my car... some IROC-Z decals will do well.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Let me post a little different point of view on this. We all gamble a bit when we are bangin' around in our Mustangs. I'm quilty of this as much as the next hot rod owner. But accepting a little responsibility will go a long way. Listen to what you are saying:

"Truth is, I was going about 40 MPH and I was probably in second gear almost redlining due to my race tune" or "With this tune it's kind of hard -not- to accelerate excessively." or "I'm usually left alone by most officers because they don't seem to care".

With statements like these I'm not convinced that the officer didn't have reason to stop you. I'm probably pissing you off more which is not necessarily my intent. Follow me along on this. If you were standing outside with maybe the concern for your child, brother, sister or whatever...if a car came by at redline near 40 mph, would it raise an eyebrow with you. Would it possibly irritate you if it were your neighborhood? I don't know much about radar guns, but I know it doesn't take one to figure out when someone is getting on it.

You think the judge wants to hear a bunch of excuses or reasons why your car needs to go to redline? My guess is probably not. I would suggest bringing a good attitude to court for starters. Dress like you have some sense and be respectful. Address the court/judge intelligently and consider falling back on your clean driving record if that applies. I'm not saying to roll over and take it but have a sensible argument prepared. Some of these things will go a long way. Just my opinion. I know it probably won't be the popular one.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
"Truth is, I was going about 40 MPH and I was probably in second gear almost redlining due to my race tune,"

"Maybe he's mad because the other day I blew by and made him drop his Starbuck's?"

You seriously think you are going to beat this? With the State budget in the mess it's in and every Town and City is broke, Charlie Crist thanks you in advance for your contribution to your local law enforcement. Have a nice day. And with that Charlie left the State to campaign another day with Senator John McCain.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
lets not get too political with this...just dont drive around donut shops. Try keep the stallions gallop to a minimum around the smokeys...try n take it to the track and let all your anger out man..youll be ok just pay it and leave it be

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Knew I should have bought that base model Corvette instead of the Mustang... friendlier community with the Chevy guys.

I was at redline because I was about to shift into third, I have an automatic.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Knew I should have bought that base model Corvette instead of the Mustang... friendlier community with the Chevy guys.

I was at redline because I was about to shift into third, I have an automatic.
No need to get drastic and start wishing for a GM product. We still have love ya. If you own a Mustang you must be half way decent. :gringreen

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned two Camaro's before this, I took a leap while waiting for the 2010 to come out... not very satisfied.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Some unsolicited advice:

(1) Go to court dressed appropriately (it doesn't require a coat and tie necessarily but it does require someothing other than blue jeans);

(2) If the officer doesn't make an appearance when the case is called it will be dismissed;

(3) If the officer does appear, the State will be required to present its case first and will do so by the officer testifying;

(4) Note carefully what the officer ACTUALLY says and NOT what you imagine he said; make BRIEF REMINDER NOTES about the important facts that the officer testifies to (e.g., he HEARD "x" or he SAW "y");

(5) when you are called by the judge to respond, DO NOT EMBELLISH and DO NOT LIE- simply state the facts as you recall them (trust me: judges can SMELL a lie and your body language will give you away if you try to dissemble);

(6) recount for the court what the officer ACTUALLY said when you were stopped (e.g., he SAW "x" as opposed to he used his radar gun and determined that your speed was "y").

If the above seems to complicated to remember or you'd feel more comfortable having someone else do the talking for you, then consult and pay a lawyer (trust me: representing yourself as a client is a fool's errand).

If you decide to represent yourself for whatever reason, and the court does find you "guilty" be CERTAIN you take responsibility for your actions and offer the court some form of alternative "sentencing" like "x" hours of community service AND having to take some form of driver safety course too: the court just might go for it.

All the above having been said, one final observation on a purely personal note...

You were an idiot for doing what you did when you KNEW you were under scrutiny. If you manage to dodge a bullet on this, take it as a lesson learned and do your "hotrodding" out of town or on the strip. If you don't dodge the bullet - and you may not - be damned certain you show some form of contrition: NOBODY likes a young smartass with a fast car thinking he's above the law and can endanger people whenever and wherever he wants to with impunity.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've owned two Camaro's before this, I took a leap while waiting for the 2010 to come out... not very satisfied.
Not very satisfied? I take back every nice thing I ever said about you. :shigrin

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.