Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered bbk longtube ceramic headers , i plan on going 3 inch piping and 3 inch H-pipe if there is enough clearance and space for the driveshaft, after the h-pipe i will do 2 1/2 piping up to the rear wheels , the axleback mufflers will be kept stock for a nice rumble but quiet and sleeper ride.

the other mod i ordered was the airaid cai :yup:

the reason i ordered is because bbk is offering a 50 dollar rebate , and since i wont have cats , im gonna go off road style , i will not have to extend the wiring, as i will have them deleted via tune.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the only mods that will remain are drop springs and if i can find a nice carbon fiber overlay on the auto shifter area and stereo area. the carbon fiber does not have to be real , so far i have only found kits , real carbon fiber is out of my budget anyhow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just ordered bbk longtube ceramic headers , i plan on going 3 inch piping and 3 inch H-pipe if there is enough clearance and space for the driveshaft, after the h-pipe i will do 2 1/2 piping up to the rear wheels , the axleback mufflers will be kept stock for a nice rumble but quiet and sleeper ride.

the other mod i ordered was the airaid cai :yup:

the reason i ordered is because bbk is offering a 50 dollar rebate , and since i wont have cats , im gonna go off road style , i will not have to extend the wiring, as i will have them deleted via tune.
I am not an exhaust expert so I won't try to elaborate about the 3 inch exhaust you are saying you will use other than to say you may loose some torque. If you havent already, I would recommend you do some reasearch about the effects of not having enough back pressure. 2.5 might be a better choice. Maybe some one could pop in and explain more.

·
Registered
670 Posts
v6's shouldnt go any bigger than 2.5 piping unless theres some FI... iirc the bbk lt piping is 2.5. 3" piping is for v8's

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the piping will go from 3 in to 2 1/2 iand then the stock 2.25in piping and out the stock turbo restrictive mufflers so im not too worried about backpressure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm not really seeing what you stand to gain by improving the exhaust flow from the block all the way back just to crimp it back down to stock 2.25" muflers. Are you really gaining anything out of it at all? The crimp from 3" to 2.5" is going to cause restriction, but going even further down is going to rob you of any gains at all if I'm understanding the dynamics correctly.

I agree with Regalt; going with 2.5" all the way back is better for consistency, and then capping it off with a decent axleback set of mufflers would ork wonders. Perhaps going with the Borla touring so you can keep from having the dreaded drone that most of us hate, while still keeping an aggresive note when taking off or WOT? If you are going to spend the money, you might as well do it right the first time around.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ill tell you right now if you want quiet you just lost it. And you will do no good with the 3" piping. your wasting your time. Besides if your not going to do anything else to the motor 3" will do nothing for you and the fact that your keeping the stock mufflers hurts you that much more. you need to add cats and resonators to both pipes or the rasp from the headers is going to drive you nuts.

I can stand behind this because I've been down this path. It finally took chrome BBk headers with full copper header wrap, BBk catted x-pipe, Pypes resonators and Borla s-type cat back system to get the thing sounding good and alot of welding things in different places and I still have a funny rasp sound in the resonators. My whole system with the multiple redos cost me about $3000.00.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Am i reading this right that your going to install a 3" h pipe? how do you plan to connect a 2.5" header ball joint to a 3" h pipe ball joint? It wont clamp together. Unless your cutting the ball joint off the header and welding a tri bolt flange on. In which case your still killing the backpressure and asking for leaks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
leave the piping as is. unless you do a turbo/procharger it's pointless.

are you getting the BBK o/f x pipe ? why change the x pipe to an h pipe ?

agree w/ SoloBUSA on the sizes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys ill just do the 2 1/2 piping , damn that sucks ill have to extend the wires lol.

the exhaust shop i go to is one of my clients so , it def will not be costing me much to do the plumbing, and or re-do the plumbing if i am not happy with the set up.

thanks for the input , this is what i was looking for!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i called the dealer with questions yesterday and the manager told me if i installed headers , that would for sure void my engine and trans warranty.

thats just the dealer where i purchased my car. I know alot of members are having their parts installed at dealers , i could care less about my exhaust warranty but the trans and engine are vital. I know there have been a few threads about this but they guy sounded very sure of himself.

so my question is , should i have the longtubes installed at a dealer so i can retain my engine/trans warranty , this also makes me want to get the Xpipe as it is a direct bolt on with no welding involved , thus there is less traces of tampering if i ever have to take the longtubes off and take the car in for a major engine/trans problem in the near future?

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can install the headers yourself and just keep the stock system so if you ever have problems you just swap it out and take it in. Also check with other local shops because the dealers labor rates are going to be higher than an independent shops. Could save you some cash and both will warranty their work. As for voiding your warranties this has been discussed a thousand times that they have to prove the parts caused the failure. As long as you get a tune to adjust for the decease in backpressure you'll be find on the engine. And yes get the BBk x-pipe. Your going to need to get the catted x-pipe to help cut down the noise. I still think your goingto want the resonators to kill the rasp in the exhaust note. If not your going to hate your car since you said you want to keep it quiet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yer dealers a dic!

You got the standard answer. "Crome lug nuts....void his warranty". Tell him to pound sand and watch him swallow his tongue trying to explain why yer warrantys "voided".:D

·
Registered
670 Posts
i called the dealer with questions yesterday and the manager told me if i installed headers , that would for sure void my engine and trans warranty.
^^this really depends on dealership, i've had one tell me any performance mod voids a warranty and there's another shop here that sells cars with mods and they told me if that specific part didn't cause the malfunction then the warranty is still good

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks gentlemen! Im willing to take the risk thats why i bought the Lt's , the joy my car brings me when i drive it is well worth the risk! I did a little cruising with the new airaid and let me tell you it really sounds nice with a better throttle response. thanks again guys for all the help , i appreciate it. There is nothing wrong with being a little cautious tho.

hey solobusa you never answered my pm lol. did you end up using your offroad xpipe or catted?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts