Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im disassembling an 1978 302 and am having trouble getting the large pulley off, rusty somewhat but cant find a way to make it stop moving when i crank the bolts. have tried putting it in gear but nothing anybody have any tricks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You mean the crankshaft pulley (which drives the fan belts), right?
I've done plenty of waterpumps, and I've found an angle where you can kind of avoid turning the pulley. If the bolt is at the nine-0-clock position, you want your wrench pointing at around three-0-clock(maybe a little after). You can feel around for it - I've never really looked to see for sure what it is. This should hold true for the crankshaft pulley too.
If the plugs are out of the engine, put 'em back in. Use either first or reverse gears. You could try one of those "grip-wrenches" - the ones that are a fan belt and clamp-handle type apparatus. If that doesn't work, you're gonna have to use an impact wrench.
My Dad was from Clarksburg!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i fineally got it yes i meant crankshaft pulley it was early this morn. anyways ive goten it off by putting it in reverse and standing on the ratchet and using a floor jack to support it with a little jumping i finally got it. my nest issue is getting the timing cover off and distributor. i am having trouble getting the large piece behind the pulley off. i this its the housing or something of that nature it has some numbers on the top with hash marks. i know it must be on zero to get the distributor out but i cant seem to get the piece out im not sure what it is i took the large bolt from the center ive tried turning the engine overand pulling prying but nothing.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That's the balancer, you need a puller. Most auto parts stores probably sell one. The dizzy should just pull out no matter where the crank is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Meangreen92 is right you need a puller for this. Becareful with the balancer. Some of them are two peices any they can be ruined if you pry them. I just lost the balancer on my wife's 94 GT, first one I have ever seen go bad from just "normal" use.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
After removing the 15/16 crankshaft bolt , you use the puller like this.

When you reinstall the balancer it is a good idea to put some white engine grease , or bearing grease if white engine grease is not available, on the crankshaft. Once you push the balancer on as far as it goes by hand , you may want to hit it with a rubber mallet to see if it will go further so that when you tighten the bolt to draw it forward , it will be using more threads on the crankshaft instead of stressing a few because it is not pushed on all the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The distributor and its O-ring will often seize to the block. That's what happens when you heat and cool the iron block and aluminum distributor over and over and never move the distributor.

Loosen and remove the distributor hold-down and then whack the base of the distributor where it meets the block with a dead-blow hammer and a straight shaft (a foot-long 3/8" rachet extension works well). It may take a while. Some penetrant or a little heat wouldn't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.