Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to decide on my next mod so i was looking into a t-lok and/or pulley's. so i was wondering if anybody had any advice on which one to do or both. and if so if anybody knew a a good place or good ones to get it would be greatly appreciated?...also i was reading on here and some ppl were saying if i got underdrive pulleys i would also need overdrive pulleys on the alternator and possibly the water pump?

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
t loc, and gears if u got the money.

i think pulleys are a waste for the money

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea they r really expensive and if they dont really do much i think the t-lok would be much better and it's cheaper...What size gears do you think would be good? it's my daily driver so i dont want the gas mileage to suffer a whole lot but i also dont want the horsepower to dip that much either so i'm confused on what to get?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Most recommend the 4.10 rear end gear for an auto. Do you have plans of going with a supercharger or turbo in the future? Just because the T-lok is cheaper initially does not mean that it will be cheaper overall. Having someone install the t-lok is going to be the expensive part. How much money do you have set aside for this mod?

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea they r really expensive and if they dont really do much i think the t-lok would be much better and it's cheaper...What size gears do you think would be good? it's my daily driver so i dont want the gas mileage to suffer a whole lot but i also dont want the horsepower to dip that much either so i'm confused on what to get?
Manual

Automatic

• 3.73 ( depending on the number of highway miles you might want to consider this)

3.73 is the happy medium for gear ratio

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i've already began trying to price it and it's not looking like it's gunna be fun on the wallett but as far as money for the mod i'm not looking to go top of the line but i also dont want the bottom of the barrell either...just to buy the part I have a couple thousand set aside for mods to do left on the car and since we have a lift and dad's a mechanic we wont have to spend much on the installation...and I live in a tiny town so i dont do much highway driving so would you recommend 3.73 gears or the 4.10's? and what would these do as far as acceleration and hp?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea i've already began trying to price it and it's not looking like it's gunna be fun on the wallett but as far as money for the mod i'm not looking to go top of the line but i also dont want the bottom of the barrell either...just to buy the part I have a couple thousand set aside for mods to do left on the car and since we have a lift and dad's a mechanic we wont have to spend much on the installation...and I live in a tiny town so i dont do much highway driving so would you recommend 3.73 gears or the 4.10's? and what would these do as far as acceleration and hp?
Well in that case its Manual 3.73 and Automatic 4.10. I guess you have an auto so you would probably want 4.10, but you should also invest in a tuner as your spedo will be off with the gear change. the gears would help you get off the line faster and lower your top speed a tad and do nothing to your horsepower. You should do this even if you don't have a tuner, but than you should work on getting a tuner for your next modceleration and hp

Underdrive Pully: HP
T-Lok: Traction
Gears: Acceleration
Tuner: HP, Acceleration(Better Shifts)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright thanks that makes a lot of sense...so since i'll be getting the 4.10's does anybody have any preference's on brands cause some ppl i've talked to said you would be better off with ford racing and others say it really doesn't matter just as long as their the right size and fit? thanks again for all the help

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
Manual

Automatic

• 3.73 ( depending on the number of highway miles you might want to consider this)
3.73 is the happy medium for gear ratio

+1 im manual and im glad i dident go 4.10

motive gears $158.00
frpp 7.5 inch t loc, $220.00
install $300.00
500 mile fluid change $33.00

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok this may sound dumb but im pretty gear iliterate...so since I dont drive many highway miles would it be better to get the 3.73 or the 4.10's? also I know gears dont do anything hp wise but they boost acceleration and hinder top speed so which one of those would give me the best acceleration with losing as lil top speed as possible? or is it just a give and take kinda thing?

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok this may sound dumb but im pretty gear iliterate...so since I dont drive many highway miles would it be better to get the 3.73 or the 4.10's? also I know gears dont do anything hp wise but they boost acceleration and hinder top speed so which one of those would give me the best acceleration with losing as lil top speed as possible? or is it just a give and take kinda thing?
it is a give or take type of thing if you don't do much highway than 4.10 is for you and you do have an auto so 4.10 is for you :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.